1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canadian Floor mat recall

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Jan 14, 2010.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, it looks like we -will- get our Canadian GIIs "fixed" re the "killer floor mats". Got my notification in the mail yesterday. This was the "first notification", warning me to ensure the mats were installed properly and saying I would be contacted when they were ready to "modify" my car.

I had heard previously that they were not going to do anything here.

I'll pass. It's nonsense. Total nonsense.

Oh, and the mailing I got included pictures of the Prius "all weather mats". I didn't buy them when I got Pearl, and just have the carpeted mats. Instead I am using the mats I got for the anti-Prius (2001 Nissan Pathfinder), and they were generic soft rubber Weathertech, not even for that vehicle. BUT they are probably "safer" than any of the mats. The accelerator pedal cutout on them doesn't match the Prius. Instead the mat goes -fully- under the pedal. There is no way the pedal could catch on any edge of the mat. A much better "fix" that anything I've seen them come up with. Even if this mat slides forward it can't catch the pedal. In fact, as it slides forward it gets "safer". ;) It -does- limit slightly the full throttle position. But in winter you DON'T want full throttle anytime!

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I received my notice yesterday, too. I haven't read all four pages yet, but it's pretty clear about using only genuine Toyota floor mats, and only one at a time. There's also a page of instructions for what to do 'in the event of unwanted acceleration', which include shifting to neutral and stomping on the brakes. The fix, aside from taking precautions with the mat, is to reshape the accelerator pedal.

3. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the notice yesterday as well. I have been using the genuine Toyota mats (carpet and all-weather) for 3+ years without incident. Since I make sure they are securely fastened, I don't need a modified accelerator pedal.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm wondering whether our European and Asian Prius owners will receive similar notices - or are only North American Prius subject to this "problem"?

5. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, I think they have lawyers, too.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So it's a 4 page version of what they have on toyota.ca? well.. slightly modified now that they're recalling it. I wonder what prompted the recall? Pressure from someone above? They were pretty adamant about how the Canadian version isn't included in the recall.

I highly doubt they will get similar notices, Patrick.