1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canadian Oil Change Interval

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by toyolover, May 22, 2010.

1. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The oil change interval has been changed in US officially as mentioned by forum members here. The last time I checked with my dealer here in Canada about a month ago, the service supervisor said he's not aware of such change in Canada.

Did anyone else check with the dealer or contact Toyota Canada in regards to this extended oil change interval?

2. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I haven't heard anything either and am glad to see your post.
    Having the first change at 8,000 km seemed like a good idea.
    For the 2nd change, I'm thinking of a longer interval and I've been meaning to follow up on this.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't heard anything. I had my first change at 6 months per the manual. (8,000km)

1 person likes this.
  4. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am working on the 10,000 km oil changes with 0w20
    Just think with a BMW they have 24,000 km oil changes!

1 person likes this.
  5. Netmaster

Netmaster New Member

24 000... but its with synthetic oil.. Prius is using regular oil (2-3 cheaper)

6. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hmmm. I'm pretty sure 0W-20 is only available as a synthetic....

7. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a Toyota add in a Canadian website or paper
    Oil changes from $38 and using synthetic oil $48
    Not a big deal anyway

8. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Just bought 5 litre of Toyota 0W20 Synthetic Oil (P/N: C0BBB-00W20-OL) at $5.25 each an hour ago. The 2010 Prius should take 4.1 to 4.4 litre of oil. So the cost of the synthetic oil is about $25, plus $8 for the Toyota oil filter. Total is $33.
    I think $38 is for regular bulk oil and $48 for synthetic oil. $48 for synthetic is still not bad consider the difference of $15 goes to the labour.
    Dont' forget the additional Eco Fee ($3.50), and soon to be Harmonized Sales Tax.

9. Carzone

Carzone New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm in Toronto, ON. I just came back from the second oil change for my 2010 Prius(1 year/13200km). I asked for 0W20 and they used 0W20 for this oil change.

But when the paper work came out, the next oil change is on June 29, 2011/21200km. I mentioned to the dealer's service manager about the 0W20 1year/16000km oil change interval. He denied it and told me Toyota Canada is different to Toyota USA.

I believe toyota sell the prius with same powertrain in USA and Canada. And the 0W20 motor oil uses the same SAE standard. But why is the oil change interval different in Canada?

Just because Canada has less people? or Canadian Customers are the Second class citizens in north america!!!

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, but I like doing oil changes: 6 months is long enough for me ;)

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea but given that synthetics are ok for1 year intervals (and roughly 16,000km), it shouldn't be a problem in our cars where the engine isn't running for the full 16,000km.

1 person likes this.
  12. Carzone

Carzone New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Agree. Synthetic oil can last long. The BMW's oil change interval is about 24000km because of synthetic oil (even some BMW models have oil burning problem)

But if I skip the next 8000km(6 month) oil change, would Toyota Canada cancel my prius's warranty? I called the customer service of Toyota Canada, the representative knows nothing. He suggested me to ask the dealer. It looks like the dealer is the boss of toyota canada, not the headquarter.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Until Toyota Canada says differently, I'd say follow the Owners Manual. Personally, even if they did double the interval, I'd still change it every 6 months or 8000 kilometers ;)

14. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I will stick to the Toyota Required Maintenance Interval, not the Toyota Dealer Recommended Schedule. For the extra $50 or so, I see it as an insurance so that if anything happens to my Prius within warranty period, Toyota Canada won't have any excuse not to cover it.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd stick to the interval. If anything pops up and somehow, they figured out the oil is to blame, it's one less variable to worry about (and one less thing they can use against you).

16. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I personally feel Hybrids can go longer intervals because the ICE does not have to work as hard, Remember it has help and we tend to have a lighter foot? My HCH2 uses 0-20 Honda oil and goes 14000 km between a changes. This car has a Maintenance Minder system and it is a good system by the way. At least you never forget, as it reminds you every time you start the car. For what its worth, H

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It would also help with the "using less resources" part if we're using oil that can still be used rather than changing it out for "new" oil.

18. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I could be wrong, but so far as I'm aware, Canada is the only place in the world where Toyota is not recommending a 16,000 km oil change interval with Synthetic 0-20 Oil for the Gen 3.

A manufacturer referring this kind of issue back to its dealers is in my view irresponsible. It is manufacturers who set minimum service intervals and any qualifying conditions, not distributors or organizations that benefit from additional service work. Asking a car service organization (eg dealer) how often you should have service is like asking a used car dealer whether you should buy their car.

Forcing additional oil use that is presumably unnecessary is wasteful, bad for the environment, and imposes an unnecessary cost on owners.

I've been staying with the 8000km changes out of concern for the BUT I'm very annoyed with Toyota Canada for not changing the interval to 16,000km or giving a credible reason why not.

19. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I change my 2006 Prius oil once a year with 0-20 synthetic. I normally only put about 5000,KM. on it thou. I would take it to 16000 miles if I could put that many miles on it . That would be 20,000 + miles. holly crap that's a long way? Hal

20. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I totally agree with your comments here but if Toyota Canada refuse to follow the rest of the world, what else can we do? The best we can hope for is someone from Toyota Canada is reading this.