1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canadian Premium Package Prius = US Prius Touring ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jayeshks, Mar 8, 2008.

1. jayeshks

jayeshks New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just got my 08 Prius last week and I have a few questions: Does the Canadian Premium package have the stiffer suspension of the US Touring model? Mine at least has the same wheels and foglights as the Touring model and the ride has been quite firm so far. I'd like to know if that's intentional. Also, I don't think my smartkey has been programmed the way I want (i.e. it doesn't automatically open the door when I touch the button on the doorpull and I can't start without the key inserted into the dash). The manual told me to go to a dealer to change its settings. There must be an easier way to do this myself right? Once I get the key sorted, I'm going to try syncing my blackberry and programming the garage door opener later to see how that works out.

I'm a bit worried about driving to work without winter tires next week but that's another story ;)

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    As far as I can tell the Canadian Prius now is the same as the European one (except the rear disk brakes), that is, similar to the US "Touring".

You are talking about the "SKS" system. You have to wrap your fingers around the door handle to unlock it (with the fob in your pocket). The button -LOCKS- the doors.

The car should start if you have the fob in your pocket and press and hold the brake pedal and then press the "Start" button on the dash. There is no "setting" for this. It either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't then either the fob is not programmed for the car (doubtful on a new car unless they gave you the wrong fob) or the fob battery is dead. A dead battery is unlikely but possible - it could be a faulty one.

There is one setting you CAN set - when the door(s) unlock it can be only the drivers or all the doors. The way to set this is outlined in the owners manual. Either way, the drivers door will unlock. If you try the front passenger door all the doors will unlock, and if you try the hatch, all the doors will unlock, with either "setting". If you don't open any doors after unlocking them they will relock after 30 sec.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The SKS system has an on/off switch which is located below the steering wheel column.

4. jayeshks

jayeshks New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's exactly what it was. I skipped over that part of the manual before. The switch in my car was in the off position. Thanks!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean the "Special Edition" not Premium Package (which is an option package).

Technically, yes it's the Touring Edition (can't confirm the euro tuned suspension as I haven't driven it myself).

Check out the KB for tips and tricks!

Oh and congrats!