1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canadian Road Trip!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Steve Zettel, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Steve Zettel

Steve Zettel New Member

My wife and I are planning a Prius road trip this fall, and Canada figures prominently in the first leg (NW Montana to NE Wisconsin).

We're thinking about heading up from Montana via 93 to pick up 3, then east, east east -- Medicine Hat, Swift Current, Regina, Winnipeg, Kenora, Dryden, Thunder Bay, at which point we'll either drop back down to Duluth and US 2, or continue on 17 around Lake Superior to Sault Ste. Marie and into Michigan.

Any comments, caveats or cautions from the Canadian brethern here on Priuschat? Do you think we'll have time to learn the language by September? :D

We're somewhat constrained for time, but not on a deadline -- it *is* supposed to be a vacation after all. I'm figuring 400-500 miles a day, some camping, some moteling. Breakfast and lunch from the cooler and campstove, dinners in mom-and-pop type places. I made this trip with my dad some 35 years ago, and remember that it was equal parts fun, and long.

The trip from Montana to Wisconsin is just one part of a loop that will have us going to Columbus, Georgia from Wisconsin, then back to Montana via Denver, Colorado, then Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier/Waterton Parks, staying off the Interstates as much as possible.

It sure is nice to be able to plan something like this and not worry in the least about fuel costs!

Steve Zettel
    near Libby, MT USA

2. Canadian Eh

Canadian Eh New Member

The area that you have chosen is absolutley wonderful!! Driving through Kenora and ThunderBay will be very enjoyable. The land there is still very much untouched and will promise you a sight to behold. Keep a watch especially at night for moose. However, your trip will surround you with mother nature, as there are no large cities or highrises, only very tall trees and if you are a fisherman ( no boat necessary) you can catch your bass of a lifetime. Lots of forest and water. No need to learn the french language everyone speaks english. Kenora and ThunderBay are areas where peolple stll leave their screen doors unlocked as well as their car doors. I have been moose hunting in ThunderBay for 15 years (which is an 18- 22 hour drive from my city in Ontario) and love the trip more each year!!

3. Steve Zettel

Steve Zettel New Member

Thanks for the nice reply -- I appreciate you taking the time and sharing your enthusiasm for western Ontario. It holds special memories for me, too. My dad and I took some fishing trips of a lifetime up there (Red Lake and points north), and we circumnavigated Lake Superior one trip, too.

We have moose out here in NW Montana, and they definitely get the right of way when they decide to cross the roadway!

Thanks again, and best regards,

Steve Z

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Steve:

You will especially like the scenery from the Manitoba/Ontario border on the Trans Canada to 50km east of Kenora. The area is typical Canadian Shield with rolling hills and dotted with many small lakes. There are many scenic pulloffs where you can take in the colors.

The road has many curves through here, and the posted limit is 90 km/h. Watch out for pulp trucks. About every 15-30km are passing lanes, since this part of the Trans Canada is strictly a two-lane affair.

I recommend the Trans Canada bypass of Kenora instead of going right through Kenora. Ever since most of the paper mill shut down, it has become a depressing town.

Oh, if as a youngster you remember this magical place known as Minaki Lodge, even frequented by the Hollywood circle, it doesn't exist anymore. It went bankrupt around 15 years ago and fell into disrepair, then burned around 2 years ago.

I haven't been to Red Lake in perhaps 20 years. It's still quite popular with fly-in fishing folks. You turn off to Red Lake at Vermillion Bay. In summer watch out for moose and deer. In winter the road is outright dangerous, folks have been stranded after a blizzard.

As an option instead of going all the way to Thunder Bay, perhaps turn off at Dryden and take Hwy 502 south. Hwy 502 also has awe-inspiring scenery. The lakes aren't quite as plentiful, but the rolling Canadian Shield makes up for it. The posted limit is 80 km/h for good reason, many curves.

Hwy 502 ends at hwy 11/71, which you turn right to head west into Fort Frances. In Fort Frances you cross the border at International Falls, MN. From The Falls, you can take SR 53 down to Duluth, which avoids the extra drive of going to Thunder Bay and Rat Portage crossing.

A lot of folks here in Winnipeg like to take a nice summer drive through Kenora and Dryden, then down to Fort Frances. Sometimes they go as far west as Emo and turn north back to Kenora.

Or they head west again to Rainy River, cross into Baudette, MN, drive west to Warroad, turn north again, then cross into Manitoba at the Sprague crossing. I've driven both routes many times and am planning on another drive soon in my Prius.

Last year I took the drive in my 2000 GMC Sierra and it cost me $95 in gas. The Prius is a lot more economical to drive around in.

In addition to moose, which are primarily a night-time hazard except during rut, deer are plentiful and you have to pay attention. They like to graze alongside the road, especially now with all the rains and everything lush and green. They can jump without warning.

A caveat about cell phones: from the Manitoba/Ontario border to Thunder Bay, the cell phone coverage is very spotty and usually Analog. It's provided by partnerships with Thunder Bay Mobility, so make sure your cell phone provider has a roaming agreement with them. Many tourists are surprised they can be standing right next to a cell tower and get nothing.

I have some old cell phones, including a 3 watt Motorola AMPS/TDMA bag phone from 1992. The bag phone, programmed for analog only, would be ideal for driving in NW Ontario. When I used it for a drive in 1994, I had very good coverage and signal quality.

Some American citizens with summer cottages near Kenora or Dryden were smart enough to hang onto old bag phones, or especially those old Motorola "brick" style "portable" cellular phones. They have them locally programmed with a local Kenora or Dryden number to avoid roaming/long distance charges, and when they leave for the season they deactivate the phone.

I hope this helps. If you need a heads-up on what to see or avoid, or what will be closed (I assume you're making the drive in fall?) let me know.

Jay

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Steve:

I don't think you have to be too worried about a breakdown, if it should happen.

I think every Toyota dealer in Winnipeg is Prius Certified. The easiest one to find is Woodhaven Toyota, which is at the Pointe West Automall at the west edge of Winnipeg. It's north of the Trans Canada and next to the Perimeter and the Downs racetrack.

If you don't want to deal with Winnipeg city traffic, just take the South Perimeter right there and bypass the city. It comes out to the Trans Canada near the floodway. About 3km east is a truckstop if you need gas/food.

The next Toyota Prius dealer is 45 km east, actually 18 km south of the Trans Canada, in Steinbach: Funk's Toyota. Further east on the Trans Canada, the next Toyota Prius certified dealer is Bayview in Kenora.

After that the next Toyota dealer is in Thunder Bay, around 330 km away.

Jay

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Taylor Toyota in Moose Jaw and also in Regina Sask are Prius certified.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canadian Eh\";p=\"101622)</div>
    Hmmmm? Maybe 20 years ago. Those places are now just as concerned about crime as anywhere else.

8. Steve Zettel

Steve Zettel New Member

Thanks Jay and Frank,

Lots of good information there to digest.

>You will especially like the scenery from the Manitoba/Ontario area is typical Canadian Shield with rolling hills and dotted with many small lakes.

I love the northern US and Canada. Don't know what it is, but certain places resonate with certain people, and north of 45 degrees latitude are the places that are special to my soul.

>As an option instead of going all the way to Thunder Bay, perhaps turn off at Dryden and take Hwy 502 south. Hwy 502 also has awe-inspiring scenery. The lakes aren't quite as plentiful, but the rolling Canadian Shield makes up for it. The posted limit is 80 km/h for good reason, many curves.

>Hwy 502 ends at hwy 11/71, which you turn right to head west into Fort Frances. In Fort Frances you cross the border at International Falls, MN. From The Falls, you can take SR 53 down to Duluth, which avoids the extra drive of going to Thunder Bay and Rat Portage crossing.

Thanks, Jay. We're not locked into any particular route, alternatives always gratefully accepted. This sounds like a good one. Whenever possible we like to avoid the major routes and hit the back roads.

>In addition to moose, which are primarily a night-time hazard except during rut, deer are plentiful and you have to pay attention. They like to graze alongside the road, especially now with all the rains and everything lush and green. They can jump without warning.

Tell me about it. A couple of Montana kamikaze deer took out my last work truck.

>A caveat about cell phones

Cell-what? My goal is to be the last man in the States without a cell phone. Seriously, we've never gotten one since there is maybe one tower in a ninety mile radius of Libby, and once you turn up the first valley outside of town that's the end of it.

>I hope this helps. If you need a heads-up on what to see or avoid, or what will be closed (I assume you're making the drive in fall?) let me know.

That's very kind, and I might just have some questions as we do more research on the routes and areas we're going to be travelling through.

>I think every Toyota dealer in Winnipeg is Prius Certified. The easiest one to find is Woodhaven Toyota, which is at the Pointe West Automall at the west edge of Winnipeg. It's north of the Trans Canada and next to the Perimeter and the Downs racetrack.

>Taylor Toyota in Moose Jaw and also in Regina Sask are Prius certified.

Thanks guys! I trust the Toyota engineering, but it's good to know if the unexpected happens there's help nearby.

I appreciate your time and advice -- we're really getting excited about this trip.

Steve Z
    near Libby, MT USA

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Steve Zettel\";p=\"101936)</div>
    Steve:

You've described the cellular coverage through most of NW Ontario. Indeed many government workers, especially Ministry of Natural Resources, use satellite phones instead of cellular phones.

I've had friends up from Utah to go on fly-in fishing trips into Canada. They'd fly into International Falls, MN, and once they crossed into Fort Frances, Ontario, their Verizon or Cingular cell phone would stop working.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the drive through NW Ontario as the scenery truly has to be experienced to be believed. A popular camping spot around 20 km east of Kenora, about 5km south of the Trans Canada, is Rushing River:

http://www.camis.com/OP/camping/maps.asp?loc=99

It's sad how most folks just stay in a motel and never explore ... good to hear you're not one of them.

Jay

10. Steve Zettel

Steve Zettel New Member

Thanks for the URL, Jay. The on-line reservation system and information for Provincial Parks is so much better than what I've found for many of the US states. I have a good friend in Laval, Quebec who is a dedicated sportsman. He often shares the URLs he uses for planning his moose hunting or fishing trips. Quite the revelation how detailed the information can be.

My wife and I love the wild and off the beaten path places. Certainly, that is how I came to live in northwest Montana. We've had our share of living in and near major metropolitan cities, and done a fair bit of international travelling both in and out of the Navy -- we're not blind to the attractions and advantages that cities can provide, but as far as where we want to live, day in and day out, give us the country every time.

Steve

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Steve:

I had a couple days off this week as floaters, so I decided to try this route:

Winnipeg along Trans Canada, bypass Kenora, to Dryden. Take Hwy 502 South down to Hwy 11/71. Go West through Fort Frances as far as Emo, North on Hwy 71 to Kenora again, then West back to Winnipeg.

I made it all in one day, as the sun is up very early this time of year. I gassed up in Winnipeg before leaving, and out of curiosity gassed up again in Dryden: $12 Cdn with gas at 92 cents a litre. MFD claimed 4.8 litres per 100 (58 MPG Imperial gallon), but I did have some headwinds.

Taking Hwy 502 I really gained fuel economy, as the posted speed limit is 80 km/h. Try 3.8 litres per 100km (74 MPG Imperial gallon). That's also the posted speed limit for most of Hwy 71 too. Back in Winnipeg it took $21. So compare $33 to $95 in my 2000 GMC Sierra, and gas was around 8 cents a litre cheaper when I drove my truck last year.

Have to love these cars.

Jay

12. Frank Hudon

on 71 there is a camp ground at Souix Narrows that the wife and I spent a couple of holidays at. Fishing and just relaxing and getting sunburnt. Caught some nice pike and a couple of walleyes. Supposed to be good bass fishing as well but never caught any. Found it was a long trip from B.C. and after a couple of summers doing that found places closer. Riding Mountain National Park north of Wasagaming and also the area around Lake Deifenbaker north of Swift Current is very nice as well. One of the problems with rural Saskatchewan is the paved roads are breaking up and the province doesn't have the money from the gas tax to repair them, so are blading up the pavement and changing them to gravel. For any rural road in all the provinces check the road reports for the route your planning. We took the wifes Classic back to Saskatchewan 2 years ago with out so much as a hic and the whole trip averaged about 53 miles to the Imperial gallon, mountain passes and all.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Frank:

That campground is still there at Sioux Narrows. What did you think of the quaint wooden bridge that spans the river? It had to be rebuilt and there is a temporary one-lane bridge with traffic lights there now.

I'm surprised you didn't stop at Rushing River, the campground is very scenic and the waterfall/rapids are neat. If I recall Rushing River is around 80-90 km north of Sioux Narrows.

Riding Mountain is nice too. I really wish I had more time to explore the nice sites, many of which are only 2-4 hours from Winnipeg.

Yeah the Gas Tax is a crock. Here in Manitoba only 7% of it actually goes to the roads. The rest goes off to the magic Paul Martin Liberal Gov in Ottawa.

Jay

14. Frank Hudon

Jay we found the camp ground at SN by accident on our way back to BC from the maritimes and it was the long weekend so holed up there and had the canoe and went every where fishing and relaxing and when the weekend was over headed west. We like it so much that we went back 2 years later and enjoyed most of it but the weather turned and we went back to Riding Mt. and it was nice up there. Did some canoing and fishing and relaxing. But with a 454 in the truck and rising gas prices stayed closer to home. Didn't realize the wooden bridge was under repair. The other thing you have to watch out for around there is turtles crossing the roads.

15. slumbum

slumbum New Member

I just got back from my second trip to Toronto from Springfield, MA in my Prius...exactly 500 miles each way. I did have a bit of a culture shock this trip. 1)I found the people so-o nice compared to Western, MA....(my opinion only) 2)The lax traffic rules really left me amused. 3)I found the place racially inclusive...unlike my hometown which seems more segregated. My biggest problem 3)Directions...bring a good map.

Although I have Nav, and it does work flawlessly in Canada, but I ended up in Downtown Toronto looking for St. Thomas St. for a seminar. The whole section of town was blocked off for a Pride parade, and I had to leave my car to find the seminar on foot. Long story short, most police and even a paramedic couldn't give directions to the small street. One did however and he goes "North of this, South of that"....(Then I lose my Prius!) I even had 2 people say they didn't understand my accent! Yes, it is a different country.

Canada is a great country, I am sure you will have a great time.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"102983)</div>
    That part of Lake of the Woods is very nice and scenic. Also nowhere near as busy as the Kenora side. Nestor Falls is also nice but it has become a bit crowded now.

Oh c'mon, those things easily get 25 MPG on the highway!

:roll:

Lot's of flattened turtles to be sure. They're snapping turtles too, so never try to pick one up or tease it in any way. As a kid I learned that one the hard way and have never gotten near one since.