1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canadian Seeking to buy in US

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Decius, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Decius

Decius New Member

I've been calling around and no one seems to be able to do business with Canadians. I've actually contacted a lawyer in the states and he said that what they are doing is actually illegal (you can't refuse to sell to someone based on nationality) but whether this be true or enforceable isn't really something I'm going to pursue to worry about.

All I know is I am ready to buy one, today, and can't find anyone that will sell it to me. If anyone has any insider contacts, or is themselves a dealer and would be able to help work with me to do this that would be great!

Thanks in advance if anyone has any info.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do you want to buy one in the US? With the Canadian and US dollar now being equal, there is no financial advantage. In addition, the US Prius has no daytime running lights required in Canada. Also there in no way to convert the odometer, temperature, etc. to the metric system. Seems to me that you would be buying a headache with a US model.

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(firepa63 @ Sep 21 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]515955[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, because the dollar is at parity. There is a financial advantage, since the minimum cost for a Prius is $29,000 in Canada vs $21,000 in the US.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dollars may be equal, but the prices have a long way to go. Converting to DRLs shouldn't be a huge deal, and the miles/km switch will take care of the speedometer, at least. I hunch most people would put up with a few minor headaches for 8 grand, though the warranty could be an issue.

5. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 21 2007, 06:44 PM) [snapback]515966[/snapback]</div>
    Warranty is not an issue - I have it in writing from Toyota that they'll honour the warranty in Canada. This was confirmed by the local Canadian dealer. The processing of the warranty claim may take a little longer.

Importing was easy after finding a dealer that will deal w/ Canadians. DRL is not an issue or a major expense and that is all that needs to be modified.

Good luck Decious in finding a dealer - from what I've been reading on from various posts here people have more luck on the West Coast.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Decius @ Sep 21 2007, 05:29 PM) [snapback]515946[/snapback]</div>
    If I remember correctly from my University Business Law course it would be classified as restrictive trade. Wonder what Toyota would do if you whispered that to them (and that you got it from a lawyer that it's illegal). We have Free Trade between the two countries.

The fact is that Toyota is making it harder and harder on US dealers to sell to Canadians. The dealer that sold to me in May can no longer do it. Similar experiences have been documented on this site.

If I remember correctly I've read a number of posts where people recently imported from Wa state. Do a search.

Good luck,
    Gabe

If I remember correctly I've read a number of posts where people recently imported from Wa state. Do a search.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(firepa63 @ Sep 21 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]515955[/snapback]</div>
    RIV fee - $200ish
    DRLs - $200ish

Price difference for a loaded Prius - $8,000ish (+HIDs and leather that we don't get here).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Decius @ Sep 21 2007, 02:29 PM) [snapback]515946[/snapback]</div>
    What dealers have you tried?

7. HolyPotato

HolyPotato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if it will help you out in BC, or if they have any contacts with Toyota, but you might try the APA's vehicle importation assistance service.

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=254

[Note: I have not personally tried their services and cannot vouch]