1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canadians, Please speak to Carolyn Parrish!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bruceha_2000, Aug 26, 2004.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just read this
    Article
    . Now I'm sure she doesn't speak for all, or even the majority of Canadians, but not all Americans are idiots. Perhaps you could ask her to be more specific and identify the idiots by name or government position. Then I wouldn't take offense :)

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Well, I could try to speak to Rush Limbaugh or Jerry Fallwell about their crap, but I doubt it would do much good.

Idiots are, unfortunately, multi-national.

3. Porky Pine

Porky Pine New Member

Well, when 60% of us believe that Hussain had ties to Bin Laden just because Faux news says so, I would find it very hard to correct her.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I get the distinct impression that she's talking about our government, and I agree with everything she says except her retraction of the term "bastards." I would not use the term myself, as I feel it is too mild, but as she is a member of Parliament, a harsher term might be construed as undiplomatic. I think that most of the people in the world recognize that the citizens of America have little say in the decisions of our government, so I don't take her remarks as refering to the rest of us.

5. Marg

Marg New Member

She's a Member of Parliament, which, I suppose is similar to the House of Representatives. She's one of a particular breed of politician who has a certain folksy appeal for people in the area she represents -- but leaves everyone else mystified and occasionally aghast. She is active, well organized, and responds quickly to her constituents' concerns. Perhaps this is why she keeps getting re-elected, in spite of the fact that she regularly puts her foot in her mouth.

While it may be presumptuous of me to speak for all Canadians, my guess is that most of us like Americans. (Well, maybe we get annoyed with those who've never heard of us or think that we are a state, but we like most of you. :) ) There are a lot of links and shared sensibilities. This is not surprising given the fact that we share one of the longest borders in the world, and that 80% of Canadians live close to it (within a 3 hour drive).

However, many of us are puzzled by your current President, his advisors and their choices. Even though we may intellectually understand the importance of a good defence plan, many of us feel nervous at the idea of our government cooperating with yours on matters involving missiles and other things that go boom. Bush does not inspire a lot of confidence... you know what I mean?

Carrolyn Parrish was crude and rude, and as a seasoned politician, she ought to have known better. But I think it was this sense of nervousness that she was trying to articulate, not a disdain for the citizens of your fair land.

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Pro-Canadian American

I've always held to Hendrik Hertzberg's comments about Canada: "...the kind of a country that makes you proud to be a North American."

7. obiwan

obiwan New Member

Houston - West, near Westheimer and Beltway
    Many of us here in the USA feel the same way...

even some of us in Texas.

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We in Vermont have a similar problem, people ask what state Vermont is in. Well EXCUUUSE me, but VT was a state before 36 others :)
    Join the crowd. Since you like most of us, is it OK if VT secedes to Canada if Bush wins in Nov? The border is only 40 miles North of here. Please? I promise I'll learn French.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

you've heard the term "loose cannon on deck" need I say more. We also have national embarrasments up here.

10. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Here's an excellent exercise:
    Ask any Canadian what the capital of the United States is. I'm fairly certain all of them will answer correctly (psst, its Washington DC).

Now ask any American what the capital of Canada is. I usually hear "Montreal" and "Quebec" as answers. Ottawa usually never comes up.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bush may make you Canadians nervous, but he scares the hell out of us US-ers.

A Canadian told me this one: How do you tell the difference between a Canadian and a US-er? Answer: you tell them that there is no difference. The US-er will agree. The Canadian will disagree violently.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The USA is known as the melting pot of the world.

Actually we are the Borg.

Resistance Is Futile, Canada.

You Will Be Assimilated . . . We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own (except for the French Canadians . . . they will be recycled. :p )

Bush is Locutus of Borg.

13. Victoriatus

Victoriatus New Member

Nah. More like the Borg Queen. I like the ending better too. :D

14. Frank Hudon

there still is a border between us. yours and ours. If you don't think so just drive across without stopping.

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Actually, I have done just that twice! The Canadian guards saw the skis on the rack and asked, "any weapons" and waved us on before I could come to a complete stop. Almost as easy as driving between Germany and Austria . . . no border guards, just signs.

I really hope you weren't offended by my Borg post. I truely would hate to see any part of Canada become U.S. Not that it wouldn't be good for the U.S., but for what it would do to the Canadian way of life.

I have been jealous of you Canadians for the past 14 days or so. I know, first hand, that you have much better Olympics TV coverage than we in the U.S. do.
    I do have one gripe with Canada though . . . Celine Dion . . . please take her back and keep her on your side of the border . . . U.S. and Canada relations would improve immensely!

Fess up Frank. You like Americans . . . at least a little . . . because we don't want Quebec either. Eh? :wink:

16. bookrats

bookrats New Member

More like Igor. "Brain... abby-normal?"

17. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Blame Canada! With their beady little eyes and flapping heads so full of lies. (great movie)

So... do the heads of Canadians actually flap around like that when you talk? : )

18. Frank Hudon

as long as Celine Dion stay's south of the border I really like you guys. If you send her back, relations will be strained.

19. bookrats

bookrats New Member

20. bookrats

bookrats New Member

No problems -- I think we've permanently imprisoned her in a pyramid in Vegas.

Sort of like a temple goddess.... if you're in a cult with really bad taste.