1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cancer: Our PC Break 'Till Next Year

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hill, Sep 22, 2013.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After putting up with my shenanigans for over 2 decades, it looks like we'll be facing an even bigger (6'-5") trouble maker than me. The biggest of the 3 trouble makers are hormone related. They say the 3 hormone related breast cancers have better survival rates. The odd ball, with lower survival rates, they call "Triple Negative Breast Cancer". She who must be obeyed (SWMBO) will be needing a good dose of prayer, good thoughts, encouragement, taxi service, chemo, insurance form crap, surgery, hugs, note taking, meal preps, cloths washing, vacuuming, dish washing, grocery buying, prescription getting, business decisions, purse carrying, etc etc. Our friends have all been so helpful in these early stages, that it's been quite humbling.

So as to NOT have to watch her hair fall out, SWMBO decided she'd be proactive and just do the buzz cut. That will make the shiny chrome dome easier to adjust to, she says. Here's our 1st chemo pic:

[​IMG]
    That's not a spider on her clavicle, it's part of the port-a-cath they sew under the skin to jack the chemo into. Sooo - this will be the last post for some time.

Ironically, our big 'ol black Lab Fred just passed away, and due to the extreme heartache, SWMBO was clutching her chest from grief, and thus discovered the 2.5 centimeter mass. By the time of our 1st chemo dose (and white cell drugs, etc) the tumor was 50% bigger. But we're hopeful. The oncologists say (unlike the 3 hormone breast cancers) the good news is, you don't have to wait 5 years to be declared "cancer free". With triple neg, it's just 3 years. Of course if you read between the lines you realize it's a tad more dicey making it to 3 years.

Not too many years ago, F8L posted, "You're never too young to get prostate cancer". But he's still kicking (wooo hooo!). Ironically, this is the opposite ... you're never too old to get triple neg breast cancer, as they tell us most get in their early 30's. Still, SWMBO is in good spirits, and still offers up the humor to me saying for example,
    "With all the risk taking, crap food you eat, and dangerous sports you've done ... it should be ME collecting the insurance money!"​
    I do it right back. When I broke my jaw in 3 places skydiving, I told her from the hospital that she was crying because she couldn't find the insurance policy. (then they wired my jaw shut for many weeks) We deserve e/other. I am hoping to report good news some time next year. In the PC Photos, we have a shot of SWMBO testing out the Tesla. She does like the thought of herself stealthily-ness flying down the road in the Tesla. So I told her to get well quick, or at our age, we'll be too broke to ever afford one. ;)
    I'll miss the PC folks. Here's to SWMBO's speedy recovery.
    The Hills

DaveinOlyWA, -1- and JMD like this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I wish you all the best!

I wish her well!

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My wife is going on 6 years cancer free. The process chemo and radiation and 2 operations and the port for chemo was a tough journey. She had a great attitude through the process and I held my chin up and became the supportive husband but I had my moments of frustration. My network of family listened to my frustration. Everything will be fine. Just keep on top if everything. Our health insurance assigned a nurse who was a case manager and coordinated between the doctors. Tremendous help since I was doing that and I have no medical background. It just made things run smoother.

4. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wish you both well and a speedy recovery for her.

5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Best thoughts, wishes, and prayers for speedy and complete recovery.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Best wishes on your latest journey. We will keep you in thoughts and prayers.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear the news, Hill. Not just about your wife, but that you'll be leaving us for awhile. Stop back and say hello sometime. Best wishes.

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    man, this cancer thing is just getting all too prevalent! we are praying for five ladies in our church alone. will be happy to add you and yours to the list.
    but i don't see why you shouldn't check in once in a while?

9. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hang in there you two. God Bless!!

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I hope you know and always keep in mind that everyone here at Priuschat has benefited greatly by your contributions to the boards. Over the years, we become more then just car enthusiasts, more than just electronic communications; we become friends.

Please never forget that there is an entire community who wishes you and SWMBO all the best. You say that you won't be online for a while but I hope it is just the opposite. We created Fred's for just this purpose. If you ever need to talk things through, if you ever just want to vent, if you want second opinions of things you've heard, I hope you remember that we are all indebted to you for the years of help and support you have provided to all of us.

Don't stay away long.

hyo silver likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it man, i will add mrs. hill to my prayer list (#3 of priuschatters) God bless!

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    God bless, get better and we'll see you when you come back with good news.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you so much - to all the well wishers. I'll still be checking in to take a quick read here and there ... but there are only so many hours in the day - and there's just so much more stuff to get done - then there is time to do it. Some of SWMBO's friends tell me that the news makes them cry. The humbling part is that they tell me their sadness is more for me - imagining how tough it can be to watch a loved one suffer. So yes I'll be lurking right about this time of the evening - although I should be sleeping. 3:40am comes awful early but them's the starting hours
    ... so once again thank you so much for all the thoughts and prayers.

TonyPSchaefer and spiderman like this.
  14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Hoping for the best

15. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear, hoping for the best for you and her. Sorry to here about your lab, I know what that is like. I got a couple of rescue dogs adopted from the local shelters. They are a real joy and conforting to have around.

DBCassidy

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    OWCH!

In 2012, my wife had a fall and could not get up. So after the ER, hospital evaluation, and 60 days in therapy, she got better. It did eat up my engine fund, take a lot of time, but also led to my own health issues . . . since resolved.

So let me suggest that care-givers also need to check their own health and status. A good run and diet goes a long way to keeping the care giver in shape to give better care.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson