1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

candidate for most obvious question in audiio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tigressa, May 24, 2007.

1. tigressa

tigressa New Member

i can't even believe i'm asking this but i don't see the answer on the boards...is there a clear way to hook up my ipod to my beautiful package #2?

and why can't i figure this out?

was it childhood neglect at a certain critical age?

how can i have a degree from a supposedly ivy league university (altho it's the same one bush went so no one is impressed anymore) and i CAN"T FIGURE OUT WHAT TO GET TO HOOK THIS PUPPY UP?

(abashedly
    thanks so much)

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depends on how much control you want to have over it while it's plugged in. You can use the AUX jack that's built into the armrest compartment, or you can go with a full integration kit that can display artist and song info, charge the iPod, etc etc.

3. tigressa

tigressa New Member

thanks...i'm partly wondering what's best to use to hook it to the AUX jack? crazy i know...

quote name='Vagabond' date='May 24 2007, 11:05 AM' post='449097']
    Depends on how much control you want to have over it while it's plugged in. You can use the AUX jack that's built into the armrest compartment, or you can go with a full integration kit that can display artist and song info, charge the iPod, etc etc.
    [/quote]

4. Treetune

Treetune New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tigressa @ May 24 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]449129[/snapback]</div>

the aux jack is great and simple. Just go grab a double male stereo cable (radio shack sells one for about 6 bucks that does the job nicely) and you're in business. I sometimes plug a PSP in there too. So like today I heard the the sounds of a game as my daughter kicked Xiao Yu's you-know-what in Tekken 5. lol The sound through the jack is nice, and though it won't display info on your artist it is quick and simple.

5. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can also buy a more expensive car adapter that has a "cigarette lighter" plug, an ipod dock cable attachment, and a mini plug. I think Griffin makes one that you can find at Circuit City. The benefit being, you can charge your iPod at the same time, and you get "line-out" which, simply put, is better than the headphone jack output.

I don't have such a device. I use the afore-mentioned mini-to-mini (male on both ends) stereo cable, and a separate car charger. The problem with this setup is I get a "hum" noise when both are plugged in. Electric interference that I'm sure the more expensive doohicky will take care of.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ May 24 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]449180[/snapback]</div>
    What you need is a Ground Loop Isolator. You can get one either at Radio Shack (you'll need adapters) or Crutchfield.

7. tigressa

tigressa New Member

thanks you guys! this helps alot...i'll go follow thru today!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ May 24 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]449180[/snapback]</div>

8. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Like many have said ... there are options:

output from the ipod comes in two flavors - headphone jack or docking connector.
    connection to Prius also comes in flavors - wireless, aux jack, and straight to the radio (DICE unit).

What you choose effects the quality and cost.

We've done almost all of 'em (between two Prii). My wife didn't like wireless, but she loves the DICE unit. I'm happy with an Apple dock connector into the aux jack.

BTW - We never used the cigarette lighter connector to charge the ipod, so I can't speak about the ground-loop hum. The DICE charges the ipod with no background noise issues.