1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Candle Wax spilled in Interior

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ilusnforc, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone ever had candle wax spilled in the interior of their car? My sister just got married today and the employees of the place it was held at were loading things into cars after the wedding and they spilled candle wax. The wax is on the leather seat, the carpet, an all-weather floor mat and the brand new CoverCraft sun shade. I am pissed... I would think wax would peel off relatively easily but I'm afraid that it may just be the opposite and impossible to get off. So, I'm waiting to contact the place to see if they are willing to have it fixed, whether it gets detailed or the parts replaced, before I attempt to do anything with it. The first thing going through my head was "over $1,000 upgrade for leather, $80 set of all-weather floor mats, a $45 sun shade and who knows what the carpeting costs PLUS the labor for the replacement (removal of all seats, GPS computer, JBL amplifier, etc...), some idiot did about $1,000 in damage by being careless and not putting things back into bags the way they were brought".

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Uh, what kind of wax? I thought candle wax is a solid unless it was burning and melted. How could they spill hot, melted wax on your car?

How I get it out of tablecloths.

I put the tablecloth in the freezer (or you can apply ice cubes) and then peel off as much as possible. Then I put the iron on low and dry and I place paper towels over the wax and iron. As the towels soak up the wax I move the towels to a fresh spot. I continue to do this until no more wax is wicked up by the towels. By that time you can use a spot remover for grease/oil/wax.

Good luck. You'll never get the place to pay so if it gets fixed it will be your insurance and your deductible paying for it.

3. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 6 2006, 11:12 PM) [snapback]298909[/snapback]</div>
    I'm thinking it came from the unity candle, because that one was burning all night and they must have blown it out just as they were taking it out to the car so of course it would be loaded with melted wax and it happened to be laying on top of a pile of stuff in a box and wax was all over in the box too. I only have a crappy little digital camera that takes webcam quality pictures (and it's really dark in the garage), so it may be difficult to see but you may get the idea... I'm just afraid that it will never come out from the threads in the leather and the carpet... I'm just not even going to touch it until the place does something about it.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A few years back i was taking a road trip and happened to spend a ngiht at my uncle's place near my birthday. they decided to have a little surprise party with some cake. Anyways, when they surprised me, they led me downstairs where the cake was, happily burning away on his pool table. blowing out the candles resulted in little spots of wax all over his felt.

My aunt ended up taking some of those waxy sheets (sorry, i don't really know what they're called) and putting them over the wax drops, the lightly ironing it. the wax (from the candle) melted, and then came off with the sheet.

5. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

Godiva's method for removal is the one I would suggest too. Get the wax real cold and break off as much as possible first. This should get most of it.

I've never tried this, but if you have one of those hand crank ice cream freezers with the metal cups that you keep in the freezer, you might try that rather than an ice cube. The idea is that the freezer cup contains a material that freezes closer to 0F rather than 32F, so it is much colder than ice. Any product like that sould be colder than regular ice.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yep, the old iron and paper trick. when i was a kid i spilled candle wax on my stepdad's mom's carpet. i spent some time with an iron and some paper bags getting that off. fun fun. but it comes out pretty well.

for the mats, you should be able to scrape that off. they're made to be tough.