1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Canned Fix-a-Flat and TPMS! Bad!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by harper42, Nov 20, 2007.

1. harper42

harper42 Member

Had a flat out in the country. Had a can of fix a flat. I've used it for years on other cars. So, I used on my Prius tire. Went to the nearest WalMart to have tire fixed. They said, "Bad News" The Fix a Flat had ruined the TPMS, and therefor they could not repair the tire. I would have to go to Toyota to have the TPMS replaced. Couldn't they still have fixed the tire? Now I am driving on the little toy spare. The nearest Toyota Dealer is 50 miles away, and I understand the tire is only good for 50 miles, and I"ve already driven 10 on it. If I make it to my Toyota dealer, they are going to have to fix TPMS, then repair tire. And I'm about ready to have my Snow Tires remounted. I'm wondering if my tire dealer could just remount snow tires (including one on this rim with bad TPMS). Then I could drive the distance to have the system repair done. That would avoid driving the distance on little spare. And save cost of repairing tire which was on its last leg anyway. But I wonder if they'll mount on rim with bad TPMS. WalMart repairman wouldn't touch it.

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They probably could've still fixed the tire, but they probably didn't want to deal with the sticky mess of the flat-fixing gunk. That sh*t is nasty. They were probably happy to "pass the buck" :)

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As you found out you cannot use Fix-A-Flat or similar tire hole sealants on wheels/valves with TPMS. It gunks up the TPMS. The current cans of Fix-A-Flat now have an express warning on it saying do not use it on wheels with TPMS.

In any event, I don't think the damaged TPMS should affect the ability to patch the tire. The Fix-A-Flat stuff is gunky and messy, but I've had numerous flats where I temporaily sealed the tire with Fix-A-Flat, then had service stations or tire stores patch the hole.

BTW, to repair the the damaged TPMS on the wheel I think they have to replace it, which means it will cost a little over $100 for parts, plus the labor costs for installing and registering the new TPMS.

4. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've never heard this. You might be confused with the fact that you should not exceed 50 mph, which is typical of donuts. It usually says this on the sidewall.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Nov 20 2007, 08:57 PM) [snapback]542230[/snapback]</div>
    For $100, I'd rather put the spare on than use the can of gunk.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    this is the same wal-mart that would not open my watch so i could see what battery was in it so i could buy a battery, and would not lend me a tool to open it myself...

:rolleyes: screw wal-mart.

7. dagrunner46

dagrunner46 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Nov 20 2007, 09:34 PM) [snapback]542222[/snapback]</div>

I have two words for you: Tire Plugger

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 20 2007, 06:25 PM) [snapback]542236[/snapback]</div>
    I think the $100 is just the parts cost for the TPMS sensor. It still has to be mounted to the wheel, tire re-mounted and the tire/wheel/sensor balanced and TPMS sensor registered with the TPMS computer. The $100 is just the beginning of this story. I never was a fan of the fix-a-flat stuff.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kikngas @ Nov 20 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]542251[/snapback]</div>
    Tire pluggers will void the warranty on the tire.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Nov 20 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]542252[/snapback]</div>
    While it is not pleasant, I'd rather take the time and get a little dirty changing out the tire for the spare than pay $100 (or more) because I was lazy and used a can of gunk. It usually takes me about 20 min. to change a tire. Once I'm late, it doesn't matter if it's 5 min. or 20 min so might as well change it.

10. harper42

harper42 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 20 2007, 07:57 PM) [snapback]542254[/snapback]</div>

OK. Easy for you GUYS to say. I've admit I've never changed a tire in my life, and probably won't ever. Usually I've been fortunate enough to have a male friend or relative around.. Not so lucky this time. Thus, the gunk. But I'm going to have to pay for it, I see now.

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Nov 20 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]542261[/snapback]</div>
    I thought you didn't know that the Fix A Flat would damage the TPMS, right?

In any event, for the presently damaged tire, if you are reluctant to fix the TPMS because of the cost, then I still think that you should be able to find a service station or tire shop that would try to repair the tire.

For future flats, if you don't want to change the tire yourself, then I would suggest enrolling in AAA or other program that provides free or cheap road services (tire changes, battery boosts, towing).

Good luck.

12. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's interesting that I know of two cars off hand, the new BMW M5 and the SRT8 Chrysler cars (excluding the Jeep SRT8 which uses runflats) that have the sensors but include a can of product similiar to fix a flat and a onboard compressor instead of a spare tire.

Mike

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mingoglia @ Nov 20 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]542311[/snapback]</div>
    Don't know about the SRT8, but the BMW (including MINI) approach to TPMS is to compare the rotational speed of each wheel (using the ABS sensors). If there is a specified variance (which would likely be caused by an under-inflated or flat tire), then a warning light is triggered. There is no wheel-mounted sensor in the BMW implementation of TPMS, so fix-a-flat is a viable solution.

14. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Nov 20 2007, 07:22 PM) [snapback]542261[/snapback]</div>
    She says as she quotes from a poster named Godiva with a "Member: Cool Chicks with a Black Prius Club" sticker in her sig. I don't think Godiva is a GUY. :lol:

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Nov 20 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]542261[/snapback]</div>

Excuse me? But I am a 53 year old woman and have changed my own flats since I learned to drive at 16. My Father insisted I be able to change my own tire in case there was no convenient male good samaritan willing to stop and change it for me. Sorry to say the few times I've had to change my tire (once in the rain, once in the dark, mostly on the shoulder of a freeway) no one stopped. This was before the age of cell phones. Mostly I keep an eye on my tires and make sure I buy new ones when needed and watch for slow leaks. But there is always the inevitable. It isn't pleasant but every woman should know how to change a flat, just in case.

16. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I almost made this mistake but read the MANUAL which says DO NOT USE this type of product!
    It's also a good reason to have AAA

17. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mingoglia @ Nov 21 2007, 01:43 AM) [snapback]542311[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Mike,

Was wondering if you knew how it works with those cars, i.e.:

Do they have a different kind of TPMS?

Or if they have the same TPMS, can I buy that tire sealant that presumably doesn't gunk up and damage the TPMS?

What's the owner supposed to do if the flat cannot be temporarily inflated and fixed by the tire sealant and/or compressor? Call for a tow by a flat bed tow truck? Call for a spare tire and wheel?

18. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Nov 21 2007, 12:11 AM) [snapback]542324[/snapback]</div>
    As was pointed out, I do also believe BMW (as stated) uses the ABS sensor to determine if a tire is low on pressure. At least I believe the mini's do, so perhaps the BMW does as well (although the more expensive BMW may measure actual pressure, I'll have to check with my friend). I do know they have the "fix-a-flat" because I helped him in the parking lot at work when he had a flat. :unsure: As for the SRT8 I know for a fact that the valve stem in my SRT8 Jeep is similiar to the Prius (in fact mine displays the pressure of all 4 tires individually on the display). I'm assuming the SRT8 Charger, 300, etc is exactly the same as mine and those cars have the fix-a-flat (the Jeeps have run flats and therefore no fix-a-flat).

To answer your question, yes, if the tire can't be repaired on the side of the road it's time to call the roadside assistance to get a tow. Doesn't sound too fun particularly for people like me in Arizona that may be on a road trip in the middle of the Indian reservation in 115 degree weather waiting for a tow truck. B)

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fix a flat type stuff washes off in water so it isn't hard to deal with the mess. I'd prefer to plug and pump up the tyre but that doesn't help now.

Thanks for the warning to all the people with tyre monitoring.

20. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm a guy and have always relied on my girlfriend to change my flat tires, so I am getting a kick out of these replies. She serves me breakfast in bed and takes out the trash too.