1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cannot add gas ?!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by danwrite, Dec 30, 2016.

1. danwrite

danwrite New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    2016 Prius

After 3000-4000 miles, today I tried to fill the gas as the indicator says only one block left (100mile left).

However, after half a gallon, the gas literally flows out of the refuel hole. I saw some related posts online about seemingly related problem for earlier generations.

Now I cannot fill my tank ... I suppose this is some issue with the gating mechanics ? So annoying.

Any advise ?

Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try a different pump? pump slowly? let it breathe for a few minutes after removing the cap, before starting to pump? that's all i got.:oops:

Chippingawayatlife and RCO like this.
  3. Weasle543

Weasle543 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've had this happen once. This remedied my issue.

Press & hold the fuel door release button for a second or two.

IIRC, the button triggers a vent valve as well as the door release.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. danwrite

danwrite New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Chippingawayatlife and RCO like this.
  5. Chippingawayatlife

Chippingawayatlife Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let us know how it goes!

6. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hum...... I wonder if the gas door release button triggers the on screen refilling message?

RCO likes this.
  7. Daniel Block

Daniel Block New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I purchased a 2016 Prius 3 Touring last March. Since then I have had three experiences where I could NOT put gas into the tank. With about a 1/4 full tank each time, I took the gas cap off, then tried to put gas in but the gas immediately splashed back and I could not add any, even trying to add it slowly. The next time I tried to add gas, there was no problem. After the second experience, I took the Prius back to the Toyota dealer. They could not find anything wrong. They suggested the next time it happens, perhaps the "gas valve" is not opening completely and I should try to start the car to reset the electronics, wait about a minute, then turn the car off and try to add gas. Well, it did happen again and this "fix" did not work. Note: I then drove to the next gas station and had no trouble putting gas in! So I then e-mailed Toyota Corporate (Houston, TX). They are doing a good job working with my Toyota dealer, using the Corporate Technicians. They asked me to bring the car back into the dealer and they are now in-process of replacing the "Fuel Spring Mechanism." The part is currently on back order and due in the end of January. The Toyota Corporate Case Manager I am working with says my case is the first case she has heard of concerning problems putting gas into the tank. She highly recommends if ANYONE ELSE IS EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM they should contact their Toyota dealer or contact Toyota Corporate (I.e., Toyota website). She said if there is a developing problem, Toyota may issue a recall.

RCO, Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, i do think others have had trouble.