1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't add much fuel when I try to gas up.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by btse6, Sep 25, 2013.

1. btse6

btse6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    '09 Prius. A couple of days ago my fuel gauge showed one pip, although it wasn't blinking. I don't usually let it get that low, but stuff happens....

Anyway, my wife had taken the gas card and so I just added $10 worth of gas (+/- 3 gallons) using my credit card. The fuel gauge still showed one pip. Later, armed with the gas card, I tried to fill up, but the automatic shutoff at the pump triggered after pumping less than two gallons. I estimate I have about 3 or 4 gallons in the tank (bladder) right now, but the gas gauge is still showing one pip.

Known problem? Is this likely to cause me to go to the dealer?

Thanks!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do know the gen 2 gets confused when you do not add at least 3 gallons. In my experience, that does not prevent you from adding more gas, but the gauge will not show as full as the car is.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many have posted about this issue. Some fuel pumps go too quickly for the bladder to keep up. So don't go full blast on the fill rate and see if that helps. Also, try to take the gas cap off and let the tank vent for a minute before filling. It is also not good to overfill the tank on the Prius, so once the pump shuts off that is time to stop.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It sounds like the first fill $10 was less than three gallon, hence the gage not changing.
    Second fill sounds like it was filled too fast, causing the pump to kick off prematurely.

I am guessing you have added approximately 5 gallons overall. Normally a Gen II will accept 7 to 8 gallons during hot ambient temps and less than that when it is cold outside.

As far as the gage is concerned, unless you pump in more than three gallons of fuel the gage will not change. Does that mean you will run out. I don't think so, however until you can add more than three gallons of fuel at a time chances are the gage is not going to be accurate.

Since you have added approximately 5 gallons of fuel at this point, I would consider driving the Prius 200 miles to consume at least four gallons of fuel and then attempt to fill it up. Hopefully if you do that the bladder will accept more than three gallons of fuel and the gage should then reset. Whatever you do, it is best to allow the tank to vent before you add fuel to it. Also, when adding fuel do it with the slowest setting on the pump handle. Running wide open only exacerbates the problem of filling the bladder.