1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't be !! Coolant valve already

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alanwagen, Apr 10, 2011.

1. alanwagen

alanwagen Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am totally POed about my wifes 09 with 40k already needing a coolant valve at the tune of $332.61 Where the heck is Toyota's legendary reliability? We had two Buicks before that did need any service. Her check engine light came on, so we took it in and was told about a "COOLANT FLOW CONTROL VALVE" being stuck. Of course not under any warranty such as powertrain or emissions. I wonder if this is common and if there is a secret warranty? Should I contact the manufacturer? Please advise.:suspicious:

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ask the dealer which DTCs were reported. Did anyone ever add the wrong coolant? If not, it's worth a call to Toyota to see whether they will chip in.

Otherwise, yeah, stuff does happen.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Please list all services performed on your car other than oil+filter changes and tire rotations -- i.e. there should not have been anything else done other than those on a car this young. Is there any reason to think that someone serviced the cooling system and did not bleed/refill it properly? Or for some reason they disconnected the hoses and reconnected them wrong?

EDIT: warranty only covers the valve to 3/36. But failure on an '09 is unusual, due to the introduction of a redesigned component.

4. alanwagen

alanwagen Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All we had done was oil changes and air filters. Nothing else. Maybe it is a anomaly but I did notice other posts concerning the Coolant valve. It is almost embarrassing that this happened to such a newish car. It just reinforces the naysayers against the Prius.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no warranty?

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why doesn't the powertrain warranty cover this? The coolant is a necessary part of the engine. I'd really make a stink about it with Toyota's regional rep. Plus the car is only 4k mi. over the basic warranty.

7. alanwagen

alanwagen Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I sent an e-mail to Toyota customer service, I will update with the results.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also get it diagnosed a a different dealer. They do make mistakes.

9. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The TSB that applies to 04-07 quotes 3 years/36,000 miles as the warranty coverage. It's really odd that they can get away with basic warranty coverage since it is an emissions component! Failure this early in an 09 is unusual though.

By the way, $333 is a reasonable price for this repair.

10. alanwagen

alanwagen Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have to take it back. The coolant is low, broken upper push clip, missing lower panel clip and missing screw on lower panel near front bumper.
    Some snotty nose kid must of done this. What should I ask for my trouble?
    Now I am justified to be POed.

11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Low ICE coolant can cause the valve to stick as the coolant acts as a lubricant. It is easy to have low coolant after a coolant refresh as one has to take care to remove any air in the system. The same happened to me and I had the dealer pop for a flatbed tow back to correct the problem. They are now unlikely to make the same mistake again.

JeffD

12. alanwagen

alanwagen Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Good news, after I contacted Toyota Customer Service via the net, they waived the charges and will refund our money. I had to fax the work orders and they granted a one time good will gesture. This goes to show that it never hurts to ask.

best regards, :)