1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't connect OBD II Scanner to Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TampaPrius.com, Mar 27, 2013.

1. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am unable to connect to a 2005 Prius

I have an Actron CP9190/CP9185 Elite Autoscanner. I have used it many times on other cars and many other Prii but it won't connect to this particular car. ( I have a small car lot and keep 8-12 2004-2009 Prii in inventory) I tried 3 other Prii that I have on my lot and they connect immediately and power up but this one won't. When I first got this car in it had some lights on and I hooked it up and it worked intermittently. I had to hold the connection just right or I would lose connection. This car had some aftermarket Bluetooth or GPS system that was removed before they traded it and I had my mechanic remove the bird's nest of wires next to the OBD connector that weren't connected to anything. This was about a month ago. This car is a 2005 with 129k. I had the battery rebuilt before I sold it. The new owner has put over 2000 miles on it since. Now the CEL and triangle are on again and I am trying to see what the codes are but can't connect.

Is there a fuse that powers the connector? or is one of the pins a power supply? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    B+ is found on Pin 16 of the OBD DataLink D1 Connector. It comes from 7.5 Amp OBD fuse.
    Ground is Pin 5.

OBD fuse is found in the cabin on drivers side fuse panel.