1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't drive a straight line

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Scottnee, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Scottnee

Scottnee New Member

Hello,

First time writer with a new 2008 Prius. My wife sold her 2003 VW Beetle turbo to go green. We love it except for the sloppy steering. It is hard to drive a straight line. And if it’s windy, be on alert or you’ll have a head on or land in the ditch. I took it back to the dealer in which the tech drove but didn’t feel any difference compared to the other Prius. Of course, he drove it on a calm day but I did notice ( I was in the passenger seat) he had to pay close attention to keep it between the lines. I upped the tire pressure slightly but I don’t feel that should be an issue. So as of now, we are disappointed.
    Did anybody else experience this??

Scott

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I always think my Prius has nice and tight handling. When it's windy it does get pushed around but not anymore then most other cars. You wanna drive something that wanders try driving a 10 year old school bus with 300k on it LOL. That'll keep your hands busy on the wheel.

3. skandale

skandale Member

I've had my Prius for three weeks today, and I love it. I've driven 3200km/2000miles already.

I believe the traditional answer to your problems may be an alignment adjustment.

On my car, the steering wheel must be held slightly to the right for the car to go straight ahead, so I guess I need an alignment as well. I haven't tested it in windy conditions yet, but it seems ok under normal conditions.

-Stein

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius can have some issues being affected by cross winds due to the broad side profile of the car.

That said, there can be some tracking issues in a new Prius if there is a problem with the alignment, particularly common is too much toe-in. We speculate that that is due to the way the car is tied down for shipping.

I definately encourage you to ask the dealer to check and correct the alignment, if necessary. It is covered under the 'secret' 12mo/12k mile 'adjustment' warranty so don't let them charge you.

5. Russell

Russell New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I believe the traditional answer to your problems may be an alignment adjustment.

On my car, the steering wheel must be held slightly to the right for the car to go straight ahead, so I guess I need an alignment as well. I haven't tested it in windy conditions yet, but it seems ok under normal conditions.
    -Stein

This might just be due to a crowned road which tends to pull car slightly to the right.
    Russ

6. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's a minor nuisance to me to have the car blown around a bit by crosswinds at high speeds, but it's not unsafe. Come to think of it, I don't think I've noticed it since I replaced the OEM tires with Michelin Hydroedges. Could be that we haven't had any really windy days since the tire replacement. I got the tires this past summer, whereas the windiest time of the year around here is spring. Maybe Efusco can comment on this; he's been running Hydroedges for a lot longer.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alignment, tyre pressure 42/40 then a BT plate

9. ethauvin

ethauvin New Member

We had some pretty hefty winds in the pacific northwest yesterday. My wife mentioned that while she was driving on the freeway she noticed a lot of cars having trouble steering straight while she had no problems with our 2007 Prius.

I would do the following, If I were you. I'd take the car onto a very straight (low traffic) road on a calm day, keep it at a steady brisk pace, and remove my hands from the steering wheel. If the car starts heavily steering one way or the other, I would say you have an alignment problem.

You could also have the dealer check the alignment, although they'll probably charge you for it.

You could also ask them about taking another Prius for a short test drive. I'm sure they have a few loaners.

Hope this helps,

E.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spark @ Oct 19 2007, 03:08 AM) [snapback]527673[/snapback]</div>

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey ya'll left out the steering issue.. :p

The power steering is electric assist, thus it will be more responcive than the standard vehicle.

I uesd to tell every one I had to change the way I drove the car from a normal car. ;)

Efusco's right about the alignment and the cross winds too... ;)

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If the alignment is okay, there are two other issues: 1) The OEM Goodyear Integrity tires are not very good. Our Prius is much easier to drive since we switched to Michelin MXV4+ Energy tires. 2) The steering in the Prius is anything but sloppy. The Prius steering is perhaps the tightest power steering system I've ever used, which leads to your handling problem. Every little control input is transfered to the tires. There is essentially no dead band, so it is very easy to over-control the steering, which induces oscillations. Once I learned to relax my grip and started steering very lightly, I had no problem with tracking. Try it.

Tom

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Second that. The steering on mine felt awfully twitchy for about a month. Then I got accustomed to it, and ever since it feels great. Try just driving it carefully for a while, and you may save yourself a trip to fix a non-existent alignment problem.

13. mhawkin1

mhawkin1 Matt

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A Prius will feel sloppy when compared to a VW - a VW will feel sloppy when compared to a Corvette. A sufficient test drive would have revealed the driving characteristics of the Prius - I don’t think your problem has anything to do with alignment or tire pressure. When my mother drove my car she said the same thing, and compared to her Crossfire (junk) it does feel sloppy. One good thing about the Prius, if you don’t like it, you can sell it and get another VW without loosing your shirt.

14. smithBYU85

smithBYU85 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I haven't driven my Prius on anything but Michellin HydroEdge tires. The car does handle horribly in high wind. I have feared for my safety on the interstate, driving 65, when it's really windy (this is in central Illinois), but I've always been able to control it. My drive from Illinois to Utah in August was without any problem and wind wasn't a problem. When it isn't windy, the car handles like a dream. I love how she makes corners!

You might want to replace your tires if they're Goodyear as well as doing the other things suggested.

15. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm, 5700 miles later on stock tires I would say that the Prius drives VERY straight but that the steering wheel is REALLY sensitive. If you get it right it can go straight without touching the wheel for more than a mile.

Many here say to get an alignment or change tires, but my suspicion is that most of the time people aren't used to the electric steering wheel on the Prius.

16. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I see people who can't drive in a straight line all the time...never seen one in a Prius. This morning it was a lady in a Honda trying to dial a cell phone. I've never had stability problems in 45,000 miles (OEM tires, no alignment). If it is that bad you can try a dealer visit, I guess. I do have a BT plate, and 42/40 TP.

17. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The stock tires track road grooves.. alot. Just relax, loosen your grip and "guide" the car, with little steering inputs.

Cross-winds do kind of suck though.

18. Scottnee

Scottnee New Member

Wow! First time post person thanks all for responding.

To answer some points mentioned, the car will go straight if the wheel is let go so I don’t think alignment is a problem. The steering certainly doesn’t feel tight (sensitive) since as I’m drifting to one side I have to counter-steer more than usual to get it back. Tires are the Goodyear. But reading your post encourages me to jump in the seat with a better attitude. I’ll relax more and give it some time.

Thanks for the help.

19. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Your welcome. And welcome to PC! I've always gotten the straight scoop here - even when I didn't want to hear it! :lol:

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something I just thought of, I drive the Prius with a very light grip on the wheel. Try relaxing your grip on the wheel, if you hold the wheel too tight you tend to over drive it. You get more feel if you have a feather grip on the wheel. I'm not talking fingertips, a full grip but very light, give it a shot.

Edit, sorry I didn't see Devil's already said this.