1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

can't fill up ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by My08, Aug 5, 2009.

1. My08

My08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Today I went to fill up (normally somewhere around my usual 8 gals). I was down to two "pips" and was only able to put in 5.3 gal (pump kept clicking as if full) Now I know Im not getting 85 mpg. Once I started the car, my gas indicator is one "pip" from full (which makes sense, usually put in about 8-8.5 gals). So my problem rests, why was I not able to fill completely up ? Anyone else had this issue ? Thanks !

2. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello My08:

This is a topic that has been beat to death here on the forums. Lots of posts on this, enough to make your head spin. Please do a search for "bladder", and you'll find out everything that you want to know.

Basically, the G2 has a "bladder" inside the gas tank that helps to control vapor emissions. Unfortunately, coupled with the "guess gauge" (gas gauge), it creates a situation where what you expect to put in the tank will not go into it.

Best wishes,

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes a nozzle will shut off prematurely. I've had that happen with several cars I've owned. I just stay away from using those nozzles. When this occured, was it at the station where you normally refuel?

4. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This just happens sometimes with the bladder, even when using the same station and pump nozzle. (I've never had anything like this happen in any other vehicle.) From what I see looking at the images of the system and listening to folks varying descriptions the problem appears to be in the bladder tank's vent system. It does not appear to be sufficiently sized for self-venting flow at times and as a result forms a seal that then prevents the tank from filling. The seal will eventually clear from what I've observed. In my case the tank gauge showed to be full after a partial fill even though it was about 2/3 full in reality.

The problem may or may not be related to flashing of light fuel in a hot tank. I suspected as much in the one instance that I've had of this so far. The fill was after a "hot soak" all day in a parking lot. The tank was half full when the fill attempt was made--something we had not done before as we usually drop to the flashing pip before filling. I'll try to avoid filling at more than 1/4 tank (indicated...about 3/8 tank actual) in the future.

5. My08

My08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes I have gone to this station several times - this was the first time I experienced this issue

6. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I've had this issue occasionally. Sometimes turning the nozzle upside-down solves the problem. Otherwise I just go to a different pump (or gas station).

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its not the station or the pump nozzles. I bought an 07 new and had this happen alot of times till I figured out its built up air in the bladder. Now I pull up to the station...take the gas cap off the nozzle...go inside and buy a drink and then come out and pump away. That 2 minute interval allows the gast tank to vent. Its worked perfect since inception. I also cut a little block of wood I jam under the gas handle that pumps gas at its slowest setting. On its first click off I hang the pump up. No matter how much it says.

RESIST THE URGE TO TOP OFF. TOPPING OFF WILL CONTAMINATE THE FUEL /VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM VOIDING YOUR WARRANTY.

I know in allowing the tank to vent I am defeating the cars 0 Emissions mission slightly but I figure thats much better than having a gallon of gas belch out all over the car. Which happened to me twice. Again ....trapped air.

I know this system works because the car has been perfect since I started this routine.

Good Luck!!

2 people like this.