1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't get fluild into new wheel Cylinders help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by poppy, Jun 30, 2010.

1. poppy

poppy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced the wheel cylinders in my 07' bled the RT rear first then left rear ..had no response from the cylinders. I reversed the order and still no fluid to the cylnders....I kep foot to floor opened the bleeder closed once I saw fluid and then closed the bleeder. after two hours of this I pumped while the bleeder was closed befor I depressed the brake and then opened to see fluid flow....stil no pressure to the cylinders...My light sre on the the dash no ABS all showing lit up. I gave up for the night the car has brakes in front and not rear. Can't figure this out.. Dealer wants 1k to check, I'll burn the car before I pay 1k for bleeding te lines. the car has rt rear cylinder leak the was only problem previous not lights or warnings indicating at that point...HELP any Ideas

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  3. poppy

poppy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Design flaw? What if I go with a pheonix fluid pump and reverse fill the lines?

4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need the Toyota equipment to bleed the brake lines on a Prius.

5. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unfortunately you are going to have to have your car towed to the dealer, if all the mechanical replacements are done then the costs of using the dealers OBII Master Tech, handheld device is somewhere between $90-125, this device cost the dealership $6000. Only with this gadget can one bleed the brakes! Read Hobbits comments on his attempt to bleed the brakes.
    :cheer2:

6. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hobbit gave some good advice on this thread

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ar-drum-brake-cynlinder-piston-poped-out.html

basically he said
    If you are very sure you didn't get air back up the rear line far
    enough to land in the actuator, and didn't wind up draining out
    enough fluid to empty the reservoir, there's a good chance.....

then describes how to bleed the rear brakes -without a scan tool- car is 'powered up';
    let us know how this goes.
    Good luck.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In the older thread I have posted the shop manual section on how to bleed the brakes

With all the solenoids involved, it is quite tricky - though not impossible - for a patient DIY.

Read Hobbit's tutorial, it's very good

For a dealer to have the balls to ask a gee just to look at the brakes, is the reason why Toyota dealerships have such a poor reputation overall

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius