1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't get Mini VCI driver to install, hoping to use Techstream to diagnose brake issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nathandavidhall, Aug 24, 2021.

1. nathandavidhall

nathandavidhall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello, I have a frustrating/confounding problem that I hope someone can give some pointers on. I originally had this thread but it kinda died so I'm hoping I can pick back up here.

I ordered this mini VCI cable to try to get the sub codes for some weird brake issues my girlfriend's '05 Prius was/is having, and I tried to follow the instructions that came on the included DVD, as well as from now somewhat outdated threads/sites like this and this. The amazon page and the DVD files both say the current Techstream versions it includes (13.00.022 and 15.00.028) should work with Windows 10 64bit, and while the TS install goes fine I can never get the mini VCI cable driver install to work ("ended prematurely because of an error"). I also downloaded VirtualBox and installed Windows 7 32 bit, but I am a noob and couldn't figure out how to access the files from the DVD or from the internet from within that interface, nor do I know how to transfer files from the main Win10 desktop to the VirtualBox Win7 environment.

If anyone knows how to either get the driver to install correctly in Win10 64, or can help me to get my DVD drive to show up in the VirtualBox Win7 32 interface so I can do the setup in there, I would greatly appreciate it!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome back, did you confirm if the bearing assemblies were OEM or not?
    You might try using an installed image : https://blog.obdii365.com/2019/11/04/download-techstream-v12-vmware-for-vxdiag-toyota/

If that fails, then use the links/tags (below) to search for related 64 bit posts :

https://blog.obdii365.com/tag/techstream/
    https://blog.obdii365.com/tag/toyota-techstream/
    https://blog.obdii365.com/tag/mini-vci/
    Not sure if this helps : "Drives can be connected to a physical DVD or CD-ROM drives or ISO images. Here is how it can be done: Select the virtual machine from the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager and click Settings: Click Storage>Add CD/DVD Device: Select whether you want to connect the drive to a physical drive or an ISO image file: Press OK to save the changes."

If not, see if something here works : virtualbox.org • View topic - CD/DVD drive access

3. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Download the VirtualBox image which already has Techstream installed. You won't need the CD they gave you with the cable.

4. nathandavidhall

nathandavidhall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great, thanks for the input! Just got a chance to download the VBox image with WinXP and TS installed from the first link in SFO's post, looks like it imported into VBox just fine. I'm not sure if it matters if the cable is plugged in to the laptop and/or car when TS is booted up, the car in question isn't here right now so it may be a day or so before I have a chance to hook it up and try it out

SFO likes this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, neither needs to be connected to open Techstream, but obviously, they both need to be connected and the car needs to be at least IG-ON for Techstream to communicate with the car.

FYI, when you plug in the cable to the USB port, you should hear the 'ding-dong' chime to indicate the cable is detected.

6. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Im in the same boat as this guy but im waaaaay less computer profficient (hell i cant even spell). So what does it mean that I have techstream running on this Microsoft surface pro but when i plug in the cable it says "device not recognized" ? Im going to try it anyway but i have a feeling i need to install the Mini VCl driver. Whatever the hell a driver is. The computer also doesnt have a wireless network driver so no internet to be had. I believe it run Microsoft 8.1 pro

7. 2ndgenbestgen

2ndgenbestgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The second poster in the thread provided the go-to site. I'm a new user, thus not allowed to post links, but obdii365 is the site.
    Without knowing your computer setup, It's hard to advise with great detai
    The most common thing for you to do, using windows, is to just download the iso, mount it, or extract it, then install techstream and the driver that's included, then patch it. Maybe sounds complicated but they include a picture and video step by step guide.

Definitely worth figuring out, you can do everything the stealership does, make copies of your key, get live data, etc