1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't get spare gas into the car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kdmorse, Apr 26, 2007.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There's a long story - here's the short version...

I had two 2gal plastic gas cans with gas in them, and I dumped them into my 2006 Prius. Most of it went in, but it became quite obvious that there was no angle at which the last x amount would leave the can, and enter the car. This left some in each can, which I certainly didn't want to store there forever.

So I took them inside, and emptied them into a container. Turns out there was a full 500ml between them, so now I have 500ml of gasoline in a sealed bottle. I went out and bought a funnel, put it up to the car, and it was immediately obvious that no, that wasn't going to work. So I still have 500ml of gasoline sitting on my kitchen table - that I would like to get into my car.

Is there some sort of contraption that would solve my problem? Should I get a hose, wedge it on the bottom of the funnel, snake it into the car, hold the funnel up, and pour gas into it. (Seems silly, but it's the best idea I've got at the moment...)

Better suggestions?

Thanks,

-Ken

2. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hehe... It's been pointed out by several folks that the right place to look for such a thing would be an Auto Parts store - where funnels, hoses, and such are likely to be found designed for just this occasion.

Silly me.. buying funnels in Home Depot..

:)

-Ken

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is probably obvious, but: avoid accumulating "spare gas". It evaporates, which contributes to smog, and it absorbs water, which doesn't do the fuel system any good when you use it. And of course storing it anywhere is a significant fire hazard.

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Never keep gas inside, especially on the kitchen table. Maybe you could put it on Ebay, as a collectable fossil fuel.

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

A total of 500 ml... that's about 35 cents worth of gas around here. Use it to clean your brushes or the BBQ.