1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't jump 2010 prius from jump terminal under hood

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Taxi/Limo, May 12, 2018.

1. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey All

I can't jump start my 2010 Prius from under the hood using that jump terminal in the fuse box
    But I can jump it from the back battery

Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you get a battery reading from the front using a multimeter?

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lots of cables only make electrical contact on one side, even though there are brass teeth on both jaws of the clamp. IIRC, the positive terminal under the hood is metal on one side and plastic on the other. If you don't check to make sure you have the cable clamp oriented the right way, your odds of a successful connection are 50-50.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    What he ^ said. Look closely at your clip, and you may find the wire is attached to only one jaw. The less expensive clips are, well, mostly non-conductive.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How are you connecting your ground (black negative cable)?

Pixel XL ?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wow, lots of good tips. I'd start with @mjoo 's: when jump-starting under the hood, you're connecting your red (post) cable to the jump start terminal, and the the black (neg) cable to what?

This used to be my favourite point, when I was using a charger with alligator clamps: upload_2018-5-12_9-28-33.png

#6 Mendel Leisk, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  7. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks I can check to see if the cable is making good contact positive
    I attach the negative to the other side of the engine on a bolt. It has worked before that way

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Prius booster cable small.jpg
    Those boost cable clips are funny. "How cheap can we make it?" The expensive thing is copper. So we use aluminum wire if we can, or smaller gauge copper. We take a small piece of copper, bend it into a square "claw", rivet it to plastic with the wire terminated in a ring terminal also in the rivet. Wait, lets use a steel "claw" with thin copper plating!

It's a wonder no-one is killed! ;)

-I- use a Mueller solid copper clip, with #10 or #8 finely stranded wire. The clip is the smaller type (part number 60C) and the wire is soldered into the end of the clip. The whole clip/wire is covered with a "boot". The "doner" end of the boost cable uses the larger clips, also covered with boots, positive side uses red wire and boots, negative side uses black wire and boots.
    Picture attached. I guess for me money is no object, as the cost is around $20. Oh, and I've never actually had to use it on the Prius. But it helps fill the under hatch floor bin. :)

GrGramps likes this.