1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't lock 2008 Prius - it beeps continuously but door won't lock.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sesimon, Jul 24, 2009.

1. sesimon

sesimon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This just started today. Have loved the key less entry and locking feature. The car is 10 months old, 9000 miles on it. This is the 1st issue I've had with it. Can lock it manually without any problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. sesimon

sesimon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Problem solved!. Wife had put an old sheet in the trunk for carrying things. It had moved and stopped the hatch from locking completely, hence the buzzer. Once I checked and moved the sheet, the car locked keylessly again.

3. brainsatgermany

brainsatgermany New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had a similar problem, 2004 Prius .suddenly the external door lock wouldn't lock and the prius emitted a beep. Having spent time checking
    all the obvious things, I noticed when my passenger went to get out of the car and before she opened the door, that the overhead light came on. The light only normally comes on when the doors are opened (unless switched otherwise), so I moved the switch back and forth a couple of times to check it. Subsequently when I tried the door locking buttons again they worked OK. I can only assume that the passenger door switch or the overhead light switch was not providing a clean signal to the door lock button circuit/software. I will look up the circuit some time to se if I can spot the error position.

4. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    your 12V might be ready to go.....

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Doors that are ajar are the common cause of this. In fact, many of us always lock our Prius just to make sure the doors are shut, which helps prevent dead 12V batteries.

The second most common cause of locking failure is a key fob left in the car. The Prius will not lock if another fob is inside.

Tom