1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't play MP3 files

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by maharlika, Oct 11, 2008.

1. maharlika

maharlika New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I just got a 2009 Prius, standard base package. I can't play my homemade MP3 music cd's in it. Only CDa formats play. These MP3's play fine in my other car. How do I make it play MP3's?

2. wayside

wayside New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had the same problem. I was just making data discs and the prius stereo would not recognize them. My laptop is Vista which I didn't think would be a problem but when I burned a data disc on an XP machine it played perfect.

Not sure if there is just a problem with my laptop (yeah I know, besides that it is Vista) or what but I have enough XP machines around that it isn't really worth investigating.

3. maharlika

maharlika New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I've used XP and Vista, with various different CD burning software, with the same result: no MP3's will play.

4. wayside

wayside New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Use XP and just create the data disc with windows explorer (no need for any extra software).

Make sure you close the session and you should be good.

5. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Make sure they are actually mp3 files and not AAC, AIFF, Apple lossless etc. Only MP3 files or WMA will work.

Oh yeah (thanks qbee42) check that there is an MP3/WMA logo on the front of the RADIO/CD unit....

Attached Files:

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does the base model play MP3s? I know it didn't on the earlier Prius. You had to get the JBL system for any of the fancy features (if you want to call that a fancy feature.)

Tom

7. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    you need a prius with options, package 2 at least to be able to play mp3 files...

you can also diagnose problems with mp3 files by checking out my post in the knowledge base that was posted recently 'prius lan check codes and their meanings'. the mfd logs problems with mp3 files, such as cd rom abnormal, mp3 files that were not mp3 fles, mp3 decode errors, etc

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i guess we can add mp3 playback along with Vehicle Stabilty Control to those useless
    is the back up camera worth it threads.

9. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, I love the mp3 playback capability. Changing CDs is a pain. This way I can fit several hours of music into the 6 disc shuttle. VSC hauled my a$$ out the fire at least once. Backup camera is nice, but that's about it. I don't have one. To make sure there are no cats around when I reverse, I honk the horn briefly and wait for the engine to come on before I move the car.