1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't see top of instrument cluster

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by goodsam, Feb 22, 2006.

1. goodsam

goodsam New Member

Drove my new Prius for the first time...all is well, except I can't see the top part of the information on the instrument cluster. I'm 6' 3" and I know I can recline the seat back, but I was wishing there was another solution someone out there might know about. Ducking down to read the info was getting old in a hurry.
    Thanks

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Hum... your not "that" tall...... can you scoot the seat up a bit, then lay back the back to give you a lower view?

and btw... welcome to the forum!...... :D

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, second time this happened. We had another tall fellow here before commenting on the same thing that he couldn't see the top of the speedo.

4. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

well considering there is a nice amount of headroom in the prius.... you would think it would accomodate.

If a tall person leans back, then he may not reach the steering wheel, since it will not teloscope.

Normally a tall person has longer arms though.... so I guess you just have to experiment.

5. dreichla

dreichla New Member

I've seen this before. One of the cars I was offered was first rejected by a really tall guy.

6. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not sure I understand. I'm 6'4 and can see the instruments clearly. Confused.

7. pollocks

pollocks New Member

Maybe the original poster has a longer torso, so actually sits higher? You may have longer legs, but a shorter torso.

8. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Likley; since I'm all arms and legs. I wasn't trying to say it wasn't true, I was/am still confused of what part he couldn't see. With the seat all the way back (you need that if you are 6.3+) and even with the seat straight-up I can see the speedometer clearly..

The thing that bugs me is that the windshield is so short. At red-lights I have to bend forward to see them. I wish they expanded the winshield up at least another inch or so.

9. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Because the speedo is actually mirrored I wonder if a tall person could 'angle' the speedo mirror to become more visable?

10. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'm only 6"2, but I have both problems - can't see traffic lights and I can't see the top of the instrument cluster. if I were going 77, it often looks like 11 unless I hunch down a bit. I guess that could come in handy if I ever get pulled for speeding - "Honest officer - I really only thought I was going 11 miles an hour!" ;)

That really is my only complaint so far with the car. Oh yeah, it sure would be nice to have driver seat memories and a sunroot, but happy enough so far :)

Dave

11. goodsam

goodsam New Member

Sorry it has taken so long to get back... you have covered my complaint pretty well... 7s look like 1s. The problem is the cover that goes over the top of the cluster is in my line of sight. I was hopeing that there was some way to adjust the display up or down. I don't want to move the seat back (recline) because I've had to do that in so many cars, I wanted to enjoy the extra headroom.
    thanks to all who replied.

12. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

What if you get a piece of mirror about the size of the current mirror.

Put that double stick foam tape on the back of it (leave the back of the sticky film on so you can try it without sticking.

Hold that up to the current mirror. Now that it's drawn toward you by about this 3/8 inch, maybe it would be ok.. If so, peel the remaining film off the sticky tape and stick it in place.

13. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

What he really needs is adjustable height seats, a feature many people in this forum have been requesting for a long time, and which Toyota has ignored in favor of tire pressure sensors, a new texture for the dash and doors, a chrome bar in the front grille, and a new Hybrid badge. :(

14. goodsam

goodsam New Member

I paid $7k less for my Scion TC... and it had adjustable height on the drivers seat.

15. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm 6'2", and have had to recline the seat of every car I've owned to keep my head from hitting the roof (especially over bumps!). If I don't recline in the Prius my head hits and I can't see out the top of the windshield.

Reclining the seat so my head sits further back also puts more room between me and the airbag. With the seat fully upright, the steering wheel is only a few inches away.

16. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

Really.. I am also a 74 incher (I went to school to figure that out! :p ).. but I am not even close to having problems seeing. Everything is right in sight. I have made no adjustment to the seats since I first sat.. They are not reclined, just all the way back. I am not 'all legs', a 32 1/2 inseam, so my trunk I think is avg for my height. This thread is very curious to me
    :wacko:

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I could see that.... if your tall and all the way back it hides you.

18. goodsam

goodsam New Member

I think this points out the problems car designers have trying to make one size fit all... but then, an adjustable seat, or adjustable mirror in the instrument cluster would solve this problem.

Another consideration is how you sit in the seat. Sometimes I have noticed that I will change my rearview mirror on long trips because I don't sit up as straight after some time as I did at the beginning.

Also, I thought 6'2" was 6'2"... but apparently 6'2" comes in all sizes.

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A