1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't track it down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by yoda, Apr 20, 2005.

1. yoda

yoda Member

Hi Everyone,

Just a shot in the dark that someone out there may know what's causing this....

My prious is making a minor sound when I go over bumps.... It sounds like it's coming from the rear right (passenger) side of the car. It hard to hear - sounds like a key rattle or a small bird chirp.

Here's the weird parts....

The sound doesn't ALWAYS happen on bumps. I guess it depends on which wheels hit the road anamoly. Secondly, and even stranger, the sound doesn't exist in the morning going to work - but it's always there on the way home. Could be because it's cool in the morning and warm in the afternoon....

It's not really annoying (difficult to hear), but I can't help wondering what the heck it is.

Anyone have a possible clue? :? :roll:

Thanks.

Yoda

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

When I put my coffee mug in the rear cup holder, it rattles, but the sound doesn't seem to be coming from there.

Do you drink coffee on the way home?
    ;-)

3. yoda

yoda Member

I do have a coffee cup, but it's in the front (fold-down) holder.

Heck, it's worth a look though. Thanks.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds around hard surfaces can be very misleading. We were convinced that we had the dreaded dashboard rattle, coming from just below the windshield. It turned out to be a ballpoint pen in the compartment below the stereo. And the rattle in the compartment behind the rear-view mirror, which I thought was the garage door remote, was actually the button in that remote; it's foam "spring" had deteriorated. Replaced, and no more rattle. Gawd, what a quiet car!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the tonneau cover. My source of squeaks come from it.

6. yoda

yoda Member

Hey All,

First off - Tideland - What IS a "tonneau cover"????

That said - no more worries - I FOUND the problem!!!!!

Today, leaving work, the car had the same sound going.... I stopped at a super market to get some groceries and when I loaded them in the trunk I had a hunch.... I folded both of the rear seats forward. The sound DISAPPEARED!!!

After a little testing, it's clear that the sound is coming from the latch where the passenger side rear seat "clicks" when locked in the upright position.

My only question now is how to eliminate the sound - Maybe a little oil on the mettle clip?

I have to say - with the seat down and that chirp gone (and mind you, it was a VERY quiet chirp) - I have to say that I don't think I've been in LEMO's that are more quiet than the Prius. MAN I love this car!!!

Yoda

7. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yoda\";p=\"82958)</div>
    The tonneau cover is that thing that you can pull out to cover the
    cargo area.

Regarding the sound. You may not need to oil that latch. I had one very similar to the one you described. After looking around the back I noticed that the left side of the rear seat was not latched into place. When I did that the sound seemed to go away. At least I haven't noticed it sense. Are you sure your rear seat back was locked into place?

8. yoda

yoda Member

It's possible that it simply wasn't latched all the way. I had it in the upright position this morning with no sound, but I wasn't getting the sound in the mornings anyway (mettle cold maybe?).

I guess we'll find out this afternoon on the trip home. I KNOW it's latched securely now - if it makes the noise, I'm breaking out the 3-in-1

8)

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eww, do you really want that smell hanging around?

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I was going to suggest the folddown seats.

11. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a sound that can be described exactly the same way - intermittent small bird chirp in response to SOME road bumps. I will check the seat latch thing.

12. yoda

yoda Member

Yes - Check it Rick.

That IS what it was for me. Once I made sure the passenger rear seat was fully "locked in" the sound had vanished. And I DIDN'T have to go for the oil can!!!!

8)

Yoda