1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't turn off Navigation system

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by snorkelsandy, Nov 17, 2010.

1. snorkelsandy

snorkelsandy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    HI all,

I just brought my car home last night. Unfortunately, I left the books at home because I was reading them late.

On my way to work, the navigation continued to try to direct me to my house (which had been set when I picked up the car last night). So every exit, every turn, it kept telling me to turn around and go the other way.

I stopped the car, looked as best I could to try to turn this off, and just go to radio or something or nothing. I couldn't figure it out.

I apologize for not reading the manual, but I would if I had not left it at home. For my drive home, can someone help me turn this off?

thanks
    sandy

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can do it by touch or by voice.

Touch:

1) Press the menu button.

2) Press Suspend Guidance.

Voice:

1) Activate voice prompt.

2) Say "Suspend Guidance."

You can also delete all destinations. Either will work.

Tom

RCO likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Why? It will then be giving you correct directions? :D

RCO likes this.
  4. snorkelsandy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

SOOO true and I already know my way! :) Just in case I get consumed with my new car and make a wrong turn!!
    Thanks!
    sandy

5. snorkelsandy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks! I will try this on my lunch break. I haven't used voice prompts yet. All we did last night was to program in Home.

sandy

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I push the "destination" button on the right. At the top of the page screen is a "delete destination?" option. Touch it and the confirmation to stop guidance. Note: this won't permanently delete the setting of your home location, just the current guidance to it.

RCO likes this.
  7. Sulle

Sulle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Hi
    Need to open the unit and from behind disconnect the main wire just for two seconds

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's always one response like that. :)

I'll second fotomoto's reply: press DEST, then touch on the screen to delete the destination. That doesn't delete the place from the memory of locations, it just deletes it from the current route, so the unit isn't trying to guide you there any more. (And if it was the only destination on the current route, the route is canceled and the unit stops giving you directions, though it's still happy to show you where you are on the map.)

You can also delete a destination by first touching the on-screen ROUTE button (shown down at the bottom, unless you touched OFF to see more of the map), then follow the prompts to delete a destination. Works the same way.

qbee42's reply, about Suspend Guidance, does something slightly different. It is more like a Pause button. You stop getting directions, but it remembers where you were going, so you can Resume Guidance later. Good for those times when you do still mean to go where you were going, but there's a little side stop you need to make on the way.

Here's one of the first things I did with mine: I downloaded the books as PDF from techinfo.toyota.com. (That's also where all the repair literature is, but there's a small fee for getting to that. All the Owner's Manuals, Nav manuals, warranty guides and other glove box stuff, though, can be downloaded from the front page of the site, there is no charge for those.)

Having the books just downloaded onto my phone frees up a lot of space in the glove box. Plus, in a file on your phone, you can even search.

-Chap

RCO likes this.