1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't turn off the Prius in Accessory mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bcool, Mar 24, 2005.

1. bcool

bcool New Member

Well, I've had a couple of minor scares recently. Both times, they've occurred when I had been sitting with the car in Accessory mode listening to the radio.

When I was ready to go, I put my foot on the brake & pressed the Power Button, but nothing happened. Repeated presses were to no avail - it stayed in Accessory mode and the radio kept playing.

The first time this happened, I opened the door and that caused things to turn off.

Today, when it happened, I tried opening the door again, but that didn't help. I had the bright idea of putting the fob in the keyslot to see if that would do anything. Well, it didn't have any effect, but when I tried to take it out it wouldn't come out.

I really started panicking at this point, since I was in a parking lot far from home. I got out the owner's manual and started looking for a solution. I saw where it said if the fob wouldn't come out of the slot to push it in all the way. I tried it, but no luck - it was locked in tight and wouldn't move.

After about 5 minutes or so of flipping through the manual, all of a sudden the car shut down. I tried taking the fob out of the slot and it came right out. I quickly tried to start the car using the brake/Power button procedure, and it started OK.

Scary!!

2. olends

olends New Member

for reference your car is like a computer. it has a built in emergency power down

simply hold the start button down and after 5-10 seconds the system will shut off.

caution: this will work with the car in motion as well. leaving you coasting with manual brakes and non powered steering.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After about 10 minutes or so, to conserve the 12v battery, the internal oscillator quits trying to sense for the fob. That's why the problem occured.

I thought the car should start up with the fob in the slot...that's the only odd thing to me in your story...that that didn't work.

If you get out of the car and walk away for a few minutes, then come back and reopen the door I think it should automatically start sensing again.

4. xevious

xevious New Member

I've had this happen. Cycling the SKS system (OFF then ON) using the SMART button under the steering wheel wakes the car up again.

Same idea as Evan's suggestion, but better suited for the American lifestyle. ;)

5. bcool

bcool New Member

Thanks for the tips....I'll print them off & keep them in the glove compartment :)

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

But he still had the problem after putting the fob in the slot.

The slot does not lock in ACC mode (green LED), but DOES lock in Ig-On (amber LED). Are you sure you were in ACC when it locked up?

I have had issues where the car hung in Ig-On when trying to go to ready. Once that occured when transferring from ACC or Ig-On (can't remember which). Holding power switch for 10 seconds does NOT work here.

My solution, which has always worked when stuck in Ig-On is to press power WITHOUT the brake pressed. Then I could go into READY normally.