1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can't use cruise control for 1500 miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by csk47, Jan 8, 2011.

1. csk47

csk47 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As odd as it may sound, our Prius salesman told us we should not use the cruise control on our 2010 Prius II for the first 1500 miles. We could not find any such warning in the manual. Did we just misunderstand or was the salesman correct?
    Any explanation is appreciated.

2. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have only used the cruise control to make sure it worked. He was getting carried away by saying the cruise should not be used for the 1st 1500 miles. Just don't drive the car in a manner that the motor revs excessively.

1 person likes this.
  3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    While I don't agree with the specifics of the recommendation, it is true that during the break in period, you want to vary speed, RPMs, etc., and using cruise control would not accomplish that. Who knows where the 1,500 miles came from. :confused:

1 person likes this.
  4. donaldhall

donaldhall New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The manual say's, during the 2000 mile breakin refrain from long constant speeds or something like that.
    You CAN use the cruise, just dont do a tank full of gas at one steady speed.
    I am in the process of reading the manual on my new 2010 V, ha ha

1 person likes this.
  5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, the manual says don't drive at a constant speed for X miles, and since the cruise does just that, that's why he said not to use it.

1 person likes this.
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Unless your area is billiard table flat (like mine) even at constant speed the RPMs will vary quite a lot.

1 person likes this.
  7. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What he said. If you have hills, you have sufficiently varied RPMs. That's all the engine needs.

1 person likes this.
  8. zonie911

zonie911 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's true, it's true, it's true.

At least, that's how my service rep explained it to me also, when newly purchased.

1 person likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The recommended breakin period for my 2010 was only 600 miles (see manual, page 151), not 1500. And the recommendation against constant speeds was only for extended periods. I did a lot of playing with it for short periods as part of learning how the car works.

1 person likes this.
  10. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the OP, your salesman is a jerk. You have to take everything told to you with a grain of salt........Drive your Prius as you would any other car.......enjoy it !!!!!!

FWIW: Read the owners manual cover to cover.......TWICE !!!!

1 person likes this.
  11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Salesmen don't usually know much about the cars they sell, they specialize in ways to get into your wallet instead. That idea, no cruse control for some number of miles, is for conventional cars that would maintain a constant engine speed with the CC set. As previously mentioned the Prius does not do that, engine speed will vary constantly even with the CC set.

I would avoid full throttle except in an emergency for the first 600 or 800 miles and take it easy on the friction brakes for the same period and you will be fine. Actually it's pretty safe just to drive in a normal fashion from day one.