1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CANVIEW

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by eflier, Oct 10, 2005.

1. eflier

eflier Silver Business Sponsor

I will eventually re-post an up-to date detailed description to replace the lost CANVIEW posts, for all those who didn't like losing that information. For now, I am busy because FrankHudon brought his Prius round to do a test install of a CANVIEW monitor and I am having to make changes because he has the JBL amp (which is device 440 on the AVC) and I have the standard (device 190).
    I have lost a few more grey hairs over this, but have now resolved it. For those of you interested, those nice beeps (that some of you astonishingly want removed) are created by the MFD sending this command string:
    For the standard audio device 190:
    wantSbeep:db 5,0,32h,29h,60h,1

For the JBL amp device 440:
    wantJbeep:db 5,0,5eh,29h,60h,1

so you can see there is a circuit in the standard audio, address 32h and one in the JBL amp, address 5eh, which generates the beep. In both cases, the last '1' is the length of the beep
    '0' is zero length (silence), '1' is standard, '2' is disturbing and '3' or more is get out of the car and run....
    Technically, it is now possible to silence these beeps and still send the correct AVC response by monitoring the AVC and, on seeing the above messages, alter the final '1' to a '0' and change the parity (which is also a 1) accordingly. You can do this on the AVC because it allows '1's to be pulled down to '0's (but you cannot pull up a '0' to become a '1' without causing a bus contention problem) But it must be done in real time while the message is being sent which means flipping the bits in under 1uS after you detect the need to do so. It needs a dedicated processor which can't be used for anything else. Its possible but seems an expensive fix for the problem, the primary difficulty being the need to get at the AVC bus, for those without NAV. (That infamous connector) Those with NAV could more easily get at the +12, ground, TX+ and TX- needed. Are you beep-o-philes really that concerned?
    eflier

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your post remind me of the microprocessor class I took in college. :D

Anyways, back to the topic. It will be nice if those beeps can be eliminated. But I won't kill myself if they will be there.

I'll have to thank you for your hard work on the CANview. It'll be a great add-on. Just curious, when the product is ready to order, what's the price range?

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Hmm, your AVC decode is a bid different than what was posted before, I think in "Suppressing all beeps".

Anyway, AVC (TX+/-) can be found on the MFD, HU, Gateway, and optionally on the NAV and JBL amp. I believe AVC also passes through the HU to the changer port. Granted, the pass-thru may be buffered, which means a simple pull down to make a 1 to a 0 won't work.

4. eflier

Quick CANview update. Sorry about the lack of posts, I've been busy finishing the artwork for the printed circuit board for the larger CANVIEW version, incorporating some (but not all) of the suggestions that came in from those (now missing) posts. Also fixing some software bugs and adding a user selectable screen FrankHudon was really keen on. Mostly done, now waiting on boards arriving next week.
    Basic idea is 2 versions, both initially for the 2004/5 Prius without factory NAV: The first is the original small die-cast box which fits up behind the glove compartment and is purely a monitor of some CAN bus messages, presented in text and bar graphs on the MFD display using the touch screen to select menu items. The second is twice as big and won't fit behind the glove box but is intended to go under whichever seat is currently empty. In response to the posts and e-mails, this version also has the basic CAN display, but also has as standard:
    1) a SCART connector with RGB and sync inputs for those wanting to experiment.
    2) same connector accepts a third-party NTSC composite video to RGB converter for camera video from 3W electronics in the UK. http://www.threedoubleyou.com/otherconverters.htm. About US$100
    3) 2nd SCART connector configured to accept the modified cable from a Pioneer AVIC-88 NAV unit for those of us who want NAV but couldn't get it/afford it. The box handles the handshaking needed to convert Prius touch-screen data into the format the Pioneer needs to see. AVIC-88 units with latest North Americam data-base show my back-road in a small Canadian town so are not bad. Haven't got their steering wheel remote working yet, so its operation by touch screen and microphone. Also, who knows the most convenient place to pick up a speed sensor signal in the Prius?
    4) a DB9 connector outputting touch screen data in 16 x 16 format at 57,600 baud for experimenters
    5) same DB9 inputs data to an internal SIMM socket to accept a BOBIII data-to-video board from Decade Engineering http://www.decadenet.com/ also about US$100
    Japanparts.com has now dinged my credit card for 100 of these infamous MFD Fujitsu connectors. (and I have now received 25, so maybe there is hope for the rest)
    I know its taking time, this is a 1-man hobby interest, but its getting close now. On price, the first version will probably be US$225 and the second version US$275 (they both use the same 3 microprocessors) You would buy the the converter or the text-video or the Pioneer direct from whoever has the best deal. I'll post more details when I hear more back from Danny, who is understandably busy right now. Or maybe he did reply and I lost the PM?

5. c4

c4 Active Member

Sign me up for a #2!

The Pioneer nav box does *NOT* have a built-in infra-red sensor; the box was always intended to be interfaced to a head-unit which is where the remote control info comes from... If you are using the nav standalone, you have to buy their speaker/sensor box, which has a speaker for voice guidance as well as the remote control sensor...

The way I've got mine hooked up right now is the AVIC connects via its 26 pin cable to a CD-RGB26 video output box for NTSC output, and the IR sensor/speaker (which I forget the part number for) is connected to the 20-pin port on the CD-RGB26. I've got the sensor/speaker mounted right at the base of the centre column, and from that position, it can see the steering remote (as well as my regular remote, even when pointed at the windshield- the sensor seems very sensitive or all the surfaces in the Prius happen to be very IR reflective). Most surprisingly, at the base of the column seems to be a very good position for the speaker as the voice seems to be coming vaguely from the centre of the windshield, and there's more than sufficient range of volume...

I also used the "mute" output of the nav box and hooked it up to a little circuit I rigged up to give my nav display (which is currently in the rear-view mirror) an auto/on/off mode.. ie, I can turn it on, or off, or into "auto" mode, where it's off most of the time until the nav says something, in which case, the mute output is grounded and a simple 555 circuit turns on the display for a user-definable period so you can see the nav screen and verify your directions, and then switches back off.. I would think that you could probably use this signal to do something similar on your box- if you prefer to see the CANVIEW or the MPG display most of the time, you could set it up so that it only changes display for a few seconds when the MUTE is asserted.

As for the speed signal, I tapped mine off the SPD signal (violet-white) wire off the ECM behind the glove compartment. The unit automatically calibrates for pulses/distance. I pulled the reverse signal right off the reverse relay (which was actually somewhat of a pain to find), and the parking brake signal was just grounded, so that the nav is fully functional at all times..

6. eflier

C4: I can't find any reference to a speaker/sensor box at Pioneer, but that would make a lot more sense than me making my own IR sensor/speaker assembly. An IR detector module is cheap but the packaging/cabling costs for a small number make it uneconomic. Any further help identifying what this Pioneer part is and how to buy them would be much appreciated. As would where to get their CDE7024 cables for less than the ridiculous amounts they charge. (I cut one in half to add a SCART plug to both ends to make 2 useable cables, as the original Mitsumi 26 pin connector (G19-026-020-BFBAA-AA) is unique and unavailable.)
    Thanks for the info on the speed sensor wire location
    I believe you mentioned in a (now lost) post that you had a Classic Prius, which runs different AVC software than the 2004/5 which CANVIEW is aimed at. Have you switched cars or are you hoping to try to kluge this into a Classic? I think that would be a major project with much frustration.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Also, who knows the most convenient place to pick up a speed sensor signal in the Prius?

I assume your canview interfaces to the MFD connector. The purple wire at pin 25 on M13 is the speed pulse output from the combination meter. I from the terminal diagram you are probably tapping into M14 for RGBS, but AVC is on M13.

8. eflier

Thanks, I didn't know about that purple wire. For convenience, I'm using a single connector in M14 which has the RGBs but also has (undocumented) 2 copies of the AVC on the upper left 4 pins. The speed sensor will hook up to the Pioneer harness, which also includes battery, acc, gnd, so it might be convenient when feeding wires to take the CANVIEW and the Pioneer along the same route. I'm not sure about tapping the M13 harness for the Pioneer power supply because it draws peak currents of a couple of amps, which might put noise on the video, but I'll try it up there instead and see. The CANVIEW only draws 50mA so hasn't been an issue.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    just to let everyone know, received my CANVIEW version 1 and install was much easier than expected. (maybe installing my AIC helped)

i now have regained the same excitement i felt when i took my brand new Prius home for the first time. well worth the money!!

thanks eflier... this thing is AWESOME!@!

one minor thing...

do you have a brief description of each item monitored and what it means? although most seem obvious, some are not. when showing this thing off (which i will be doing a lot of) i want to make sure i am giving the right description