1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Capacity: Inverter & Engine Coolant

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Aaron, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My owner's manual for my 2G 2008 Prius says coolant capacity is:

Engine: 9.0 US Quarts

Power Control Unit (does this mean Inverter??): 2.9 US Quarts

Is this correct?

Also, if I'm adding coolant to the overflow reservoir as a "top-off" for the engine coolant, will it eventually work it's way into the radiator/engine or will it just sit in the overflow reservoir?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Gen II is:

Engine Coolant 9.1 quarts
    Inverter 3.9 quarts

And yes add to the overflow it works its way in.

1 person likes this.
  3. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK thanks. What were the capacities talked about in the Owner's Manual? I copied it straight out of the book.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wasn't able to find a spec for the inverter/transaxle coolant. I think that 2.9 quarts is about right, as I recall using ~3 quarts when doing a drain and refill.

Regarding the engine coolant, although the spec is 9.1 quarts, when you are doing a drain and refill the actual amount used will be more like 6 quarts because a good portion of the coolant is retained in the heater core and hoses. Therefore, you should capture the drained coolant and measure it so that you know how much needs to be added before you can declare victory on your project.

Regarding topping off the engine coolant, I suggest that if you are checking the coolant level because you've recently drained and replaced the coolant, then you should also remove the radiator cap when the engine is cold and check the fluid level directly in the radiator.

In principle fluid added to the reservoir will eventually make its way into the radiator assuming proper functioning of the radiator cap. However, depending upon how low the fluid level is in the radiator, you may be better off directly filling the radiator to the top of the neck, rather than counting on the overflow reservoir to eventually fill the radiator.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Should I remove the black, plastic covering that is just barely covering the metal radiator cap or can I get to it without doing that?

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not think that you can remove the radiator cap without first removing the black plastic cover.

7. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree with Patrick it's a lot easier to get access to the radiator cap if you remove the radiator cover, and it doesn't take very long to do. That said, I have been able to remove the radiator cap and make a quick check of the fluid level in the radiator by removing just the two leftmost clips and pulling gently up on the radiator cover far enough to get access to the radiator cap...

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It has not been mentioned, but, there are a few precautions that you have to be aware of, such as: air bleeding procedures, drain locations on BOTH coolant systems. To avoid repeating all this, Do a search on PriusChat, and read everything first.:D