1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car Accident, What do I look for?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by heffd, Feb 14, 2006.

1. heffd

heffd New Member

I was driving home a couple of months ago.at about forty mph when a deer jumped in the road and I struck it "head-on". The car did what it was upposed to do and crumpled at the front thereby not exposing me to alot of g's. The deer was not so fortunate. I brought the car to a Geico assessor who assessed the damage at 800.00 without ever opening the hood. i then brought the car to the dealer where I purchased it and they told me to bring it straight to the body shop. Upn further inspection at the body shop the mechanics found a number of other internal problems at the condensor and other areas. I am not comfortable thinking the the mechanics at the body shop were really able to do a thorough diagnostic on a car this complicated (2005 Prius #6) and I am now hearing sounds that I didn't hear before when I park and when I start the vehicle. When I fully depress the rake in park I hear an electrical humming sort of sound in the front right of the car and I have heard a number of similar sounds coming from the car while parked. I don't know if this is just me being a little more cognizant than I was prior to the accident or if I need to have someone check the systems again. All help will be appreciated.

Thank You and Be Safe,

David

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    first, glad you're okay! second, welcome to priuschat. you're among friends (never mind the flame wars going on in the off-topic forum!)

the whirring/humming sound is your brake accumulator pump. it pressurizes the system for when you need braking power. when you park, you have the coolant transfer pump, and some more abs stuff that goes on for a while after shutdown.

if you're uncomfortable, i'd bring it in for a look-over by an experienced prius tech. you want to be sure everything was done right to restore your car to its pre-accident state as well as possible. but, there are some noises that are par for the course with the prius. :)

best of luck.

3. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You have the full right to even go to the dealer and they will have to cover the charges minus your deductible. You don't have to take their bid to fix it.. You always have the right for a second bid of your choicd. Geico is known for lowballing people.