1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car and Driver: After 30 Years, the EPA Finally Comes up with Realistic Fuel-Economy Estimates

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Feb 26, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    C&D : After 30 Years, the EPA Finally Comes up with Realistic Fuel-Economy Estimates & EPA document

(Hope these aren't reposts...)
    After 30 Years, the EPA Finally Comes up with Realistic Fuel-Economy Estimates - Column - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
    Now this article isn't at all new but I happened to stumble across it while looking for something else. While skimming it, I came across a great find from the EPA: Fuel Economy Labeling of Motor Vehicles: Revisions to Improve Calculation of Fuel Economy Estimates. It's 412 pages long and quite a doozy to read (I don't have time to read it all.)

They even discuss what they call "mpg-based" method which is the conversion of numbers from the pre-model year 2008 tests to what they want shown on labels now. Their results vs. Consumer Reports' numbers are mentioned and hybrids are mentioned many times.