1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car as a 'statement' article

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 5, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What Your Car May Be Saying About You - The Car Connection

I'm not going to quote this fluff piece as we've seen the same sentiments expressed over and over again. Lazy journalism or opinion piece so this time I posted the reverse as a comment . . . perhaps people who drive a roofer's vehicle to their white-collar, office job should consider a career change.

FYI, I also posted with attribution Christopher Hogan's formula:
    internal-volume x MPG ~= vehicle_utility​
    Also a reference to using www. fueleconomy. gov as a definitive source of user MPG and vehicle internal dimensions.

Huuuuummmm, so Prius people tend have some positive attributes: technological leaders, Einsein-like drivers, relatively well off, and slow-safe drivers. It might be fun to let the 'attitude' and 'style' journalists and bloggers get some comments like:
    • "Well I couldn't get into college until my parents bought me a Prius. Now I'm in college with a scholarship."
    • "I was flipping burgers at McDonalds but after buying a Prius, now I own the store."
    • "I told the Judge I sold the <author's favorite ride> that got the speeding ticket and now drive a Prius. Driving school and no points!"
    The best way to puncture a lying marketing claim is to take it to its logical conclusion . . . and have some fun. <grins>

If a marketing *sshole make some inflated claim, it is a two-edged sword. You know paper cuts both ways. <grins>

Bob Wilson

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This woman's statement is nearly garbage about the Prius ....

"... We choose ]hybrids[/ like the Honda Civic Hybrid and electrics like the Toyota Prius to make a statement – a very visible one – to others that we not only care about the environment and our contribution to it, but we’re putting our money where our mouth is. That’s a good thing. But we can make the same statement by buying super fuel-efficient (nearly as good as hybrids, sometimes better) and powerful turbocharged four-cylinder cars – if we so desire."

A buyers requirements -

4 doors with hatchback (for greater hauling capacity)
    Good seating for 4 to 5 adults
    true average fuel economy 30 MPG or more
    starting price under $25k

Contenders (according to my revew of Consumer Reports listing of 2011 new cars) -
    Mini Cooper clubman (30 mpg average)
    VW TDI Golf
    VW TDI Sportwagen
    Toyota Prius

I don't know of any other contenders for those requirements. No sedans (trunked vehicles) allowed, please.

I'd roll with the Prius due to VW's suspect reliability and the clubman's small interior room.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is worse. My comment was 'removed' although referenced by the author. No need to go back.

Bob Wilson