1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car battery died ... jumped it and now have problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by funpilot, Feb 23, 2005.

1. funpilot

funpilot Junior Member

I called Toyota Road side service and they sent someone who gave me a jump from the special terminal near the ICE. Now my driver's window will not go down automatically, and my engine energy monitor does something strange....it shows light green bars up until it is full then jumps to dark blue bars. I get back to light green bars after I leave the car for more than a couple of hours? Is the computer damaged?

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The window simply needs to be recalibrated to know where "up" is. This procedure is documented in your owner's manual.

3. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

You don't need to get the manual out for this one. Just hold the button for the drivers window and take it all the way down all the way back up a couple of times and check it. It will be auto again.

4. funpilot

funpilot Junior Member

Window works....blue bars back. Just needed to drive it more. THANKS.

5. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) Per Toyota as of 02/05/05

Can the Prius be jump started?

Answer
    Yes. Should you need it, Prius can be jump started with any standard 12-volt DC power source, and it actually requires less power than a conventional car. Simply connect the cable clamps to access points* under the hood (which are connected to the auxiliary battery near the cargo area) and energize the computer. Then press the Start button to turn the car on.
    *on 2004+ models

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You do not need to get enough power for a starter motor or such, just enough to get the computers going and the various LANs after that the ready light appears and the HV (High voltage) battery can take over after you start the auxiliary battery will charge. Remember a fully discharged Lead Acid battery will never be the same after you deeply discharge it. In cold temperatures it may not do well. You might need to replace it depending on the circumstances. Take care, drive happy.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You also need enough energy to operate the accumulator pump when you press on the brake, though if you're careful, you can press gently enough to get the brake switch engaged to get into Ready without triggering the accumulator pump.

8. jeepien

jeepien Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"67380)</div>
    An good way to do this, if you have a marginal jumpstart source, is to first go to IGN-ON mode, push/hold the Power button with foot the OFF brake pedal, and then gingerly press down on the pedal just enough to light up [READY]. That should allow you to hear the "TaDah" ready beep before you hear the "grrrrnnnnnnnnn" of the accumulator pump.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Hmm. Wonder if that could prevent Hung on Ig-On?

By the way, the hang on Ig-On happened to me the other day, and I am sure I heard the relays try to kick in.
    But that's for another thread.

10. jeepien

jeepien Member

Well, I don't know. After recommending this, I actually tried it, and it won't work. Still I'm absolutely sure that I've pressed Power first, and then went to Ready on depressing the brake peda. But if you do it slowly and deliberately, it doesn't seem to work.

That would imply that there's a timing issue involved, and this may at least be related to the IGN-ON issue which has some timing component to it as well.