1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car buyers hit brakes on Prius purchases

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by uclabruins, Nov 30, 2006.

1. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting article from CNNMoney.com:

- Says 2007 models currently not qualified for tax credit.
    - Also possible extension of Prius line.

Car buyers hit brakes on Prius purchases
    Toyota reports slow sales of popular hybrid, blaming waning buyer interest on absence of full federal tax break.
    November 29 2006: 8:07 PM EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- U.S. sales of the popular Prius and other hybrids made by Toyota Motor Co. slipped this fall when buyers of those vehicles no longer qualified for a full federal tax break, Toyota officials said Wednesday.

"Until recently, there was a two-month wait to get one," Jim Press, president of Toyota North America, told an auto technology conference about Prius availability.

Sales and marketing officials said lower gas prices and production changes at the Japanese automaker were other factors that cut into its industry-leading gas/electric hybrid sales in October. The October figure of 14,598 was the lowest since March.

Press said for the first time since rolling out the Prius in 2003, Toyota is able to fulfill consumer demand for the car.

He also called on Congress to extend the hybrid tax incentive for 2007 purchases. The Bush administration supports the extension, but it is unclear if lawmakers will act in the waning days of the current session next month.

Energy legislation in 2005 allowed consumers to claim up to $3,600 in tax credits for hybrid purchases. The full credit was capped at 60,000 vehicles per manufacturer, a ceiling Toyota hit last summer.

Consumers can still reap a partial tax credit for Toyota hybrid purchases.

Toyota currently makes six hybrid vehicles and plans a seventh next year: the first V8 hybrid option on its Lexus LS sedan.

Press also said Toyota is considering expanding the Prius line, but no decisions have been made.

He remarked that the government should consider converting its fleet of vehicles to hybrids, saying military applications alone could lead to significant fuel savings and lower emissions.

While Toyota continues to lead all manufacturers in hybrid sales and plans to ramp up production next year, the company is less aggressive than its chief U.S. rival, General Motors Corp. (Charts), in developing another hybrid model - the plug-in.

GM said Wednesday it planned to introduce a plug-n hybrid version of its Saturn Vue SUV. It will plug into an outlet - much like a toy car - to recharge its battery. The plug-in theoretically would run longer on battery power than conventional hybrids before needing to be recharged by power from the vehicle's gasoline engiene.

Wagoner would not give a timetable for introduction of the plug-in hybrid saying more work is needed into advanced battery technology.

Press said he did not feel threatened by GM's plans for a more aggressive push into hybrid vehicles and said Toyota will continue to research battery technology and potential markets before deciding whether to commit to a plug-in vehicle.

Plug-in advocates meeting in Washington would like Congress to approve tax credits and research and development grants to facilitate battery research and production of demonstration models. Plug-in batteries must be more robust than current technology, experts said.

2. erogla

erogla New Member

I think slowing sales are also due simply to much lower gas prices.

3. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm having trouble seeing how they can categorize Toyota as "less aggressive" than GM on plug-in hybrids, when there's no GM timetable on introducing one.

4. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(erogla @ Nov 30 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]355777[/snapback]</div>
    That's my thinking, too, although the lower tax credit is definitely also a factor. I've seen a whole bunch of brand new SUVs on the road recently. Memories are short.

5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(erogla @ Nov 30 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]355777[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed, most consumers have incredibly short memories, even for a purchase as significant as a *CAR*... I'm sure the lower gas prices are only temporary...

6. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Nov 30 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]355779[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota has a timetable for producing plug-ins? As of yesterday they said they had no plans to build plug-in hybrids.

True, the actual quote was "no plans at the moment", and one could argue about what "at the moment" really means, but I would say that if they have a timetable, then they have plans, and if they have no plans, then they have no timetable.

7. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Probably the Camry Hybrid and the new Civic hybrid managed to get some Prius sales. Epsecially now that the Civic will still get a good rebate. Both those came onto the market since last year, tied to the wait times for the Prius earlier.

Demand for the Prius will probably stabilize lower given the alternatives and lower gas prices. Which is good for new buyers as they will pay less and have a very short wait time.

8. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Nov 30 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]355786[/snapback]</div>
    And they forget they'll be stuck with that SUV when the prices do go up.

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :mellow: QUOTE:

"Interesting article from CNNMoney.com:

- Says 2007 models currently not qualified for tax credit. "

Misinformation abounds.
    Sounds like CNN Money may have been paid by GM and Ford to write this article. The 2007 Prius is qualified for a $1,575 tax credit [NOT A DEDUCTION but a direct 'bottom line' credit] while other models are qualified for credits in different amounts.

In the North Texas area, some Toyota Dealers found themselves with 5 to 10 Prius 'in stock' ready for immediate delivery. Within a couple of weeks, a buyer could find discounts off MSRP. Dealers had been spoiled for nearly 3 years to MSRP [OR MORE!] and waiting lists so it took awhile for them to realize that those days were gone at least for awhile.

10. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What most people just don't seem to get is that the Prius is a pretty darn good car, forgetting the Hybrid, Green Culture, Low Emisions, Fuel Economy, HOV access, "or fad of the month attraction". My Prius is one of the most comfortable, roomy, practical, fun to drive, quiet cars (with lots of cool gadgets) I've had in 40+ years of driving. The fact that it gets 50 mpg (actual), and is good for the envitonment is a bonus on top of its actual goodness as a vehicle. I'm tired of "Your Prius is ...(fill in the blank)...for a Hybrid". If prople realized what a good car it is, the sales wouldn't be so dependent on gas prices, governmental legislative whims, etc.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It goes to show, when it's all said and done, it's all about the money. I'm sure the HOV sticker is too.

Just as there are those who buy SUVs because of the temporary dip in gas price, there are those who buy Priuses not because it saves gas or lowers emissions but solely because of being able to drive solo in the HOV lanes.

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think i would have to see Priuses piling up at the dealer before i believe the hype of this article. so many writers want to take one month and micro analyze the data to determine long term trends and why things are happening the way the are. i think Oct sales slow because who wants an 06 when the 07 is a few weeks away. lets see how things are when the average time on the lot exceeds 10 days.

13. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Nov 30 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]355786[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps that would be the time to bring out the old Toyota tag line, "You asked for it, you got it!"

14. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 30 2006, 11:29 PM) [snapback]356077[/snapback]</div>
    Here in Maryland you can go online and see more Priuses and Prius discounts now at the dealers. It is not the 06 vs 07 thing here because they have been allmost all 07's for weeks. One website you can see this at is www.castletoyota.com

Don't feel sorry for Toyota or hybrids though...... The Camry even though it is made in hugher volumes is FLYING off the lot. For some reason the base models are not but anything that is loaded is gone as soon as it comes in. The hybrid Camry is harder to find then the Prius. The Camry just won car of the year a few days ago as well so I dont see demand letting up anytime soon.

15. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Nov 30 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]355871[/snapback]</div>
    So right on.

16. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Nov 30 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]355871[/snapback]</div>
    You said it. It's the only car I've driven that makes me feel like I'm in the 21st Century.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i talked to a friend of mine who just started at Toyota of Kirkland and he says the trend is now towards people willing to wait longer for the the exact package and color they want. he still doesnt see any real deals being cut for a Prius or a Camry hybrid where he is. sometimes they may offer a deal for a package close to want the buyer wants to move the car, but as it stands, Priuses are not yet piling up.

18. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here in Colorado, people are still on waiting lists. My dealer is still saying 2+ months wait on average for your color and pkg choice and MSRP is the selling price. There is still some Federal tax credit available for those considering purchase and for those of us in Colorado, over $3000 in state tax credits on the Prius for 2006 tax year in addition to the Fed!!! I have not seen the tax credit amount (if any) for Colorado state tax year 2007.

This is the same wait time and cost as when I bought my 2006 last summer. I can happily say it was well worth the wait too! :D

19. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kn6vv @ Dec 1 2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]356201[/snapback]</div>
    Having just been shopping for my Prius in Chicago, Illinois, pretty much nobody had any until mid-November, when the 2007's came in. Then most dealers were showing a few available in December, if you wanted to put down a deposit. I started shopping the suburbs and found better availability (and my car, which someone had refused to take delivery on when their trade-in had a bad vehicle history), with most dealerships expecting to get a few at the end of November. The exception was a dealer in northern Illinois, Fox Lake Toyota, that had 20 on the lot! But I found mine closer before I had to drive all the way out there.

It basically felt like a big shipment came into the state with the 2007 models and there's a brief window of availibility now in December. Don't know if it will last. Sure wish we had those Colorado tax credits here! :(

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(erogla @ Nov 30 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]355777[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe we should all be dufis's ... lets all trade in our prius's and buy hummers!

How come folks aren't as woried about petro dollers going back to fund terrorism?