1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car cigarette lighter ports?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Brian Withun, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Brian Withun

Brian Withun New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a modest array of onboard electronics that I like to keep with me in the car (mp3/fm transmitter/dvd player/gps)

How many cigarette lighters are in the prius, and what are the ramifications for expanding the existing ports, if there are too few?

- Brian Herbert Withun
    potential prius owner

2. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I believe there are two, one under the dash and one in the center console.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  4. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

And if I read the manual correctly, you split 10A/120W between the two...

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Splitters" or "doublers" are available to give you more outlets. They plug into the existing outlet, and give you two 12v ports where there was only one. In theory, I suppose more than one could be used, but in practice they don't always stay plugged in very well.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Zero cigarette lighters. :)

However, there are two power outlets, one in the console and one below the dash near the lower glove compartment.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am not sure if I read it here or made it up but I'm pretty sure that someone posted that if something is plugged into the port under the dash the car will not shut down. It has a detector in the event that something's plugged in.

8. bacinmass

bacinmass Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Hi all -

Nope, the plug under the dash functions exactly as described earlier. It has power only when the car is on. Having something plugged into the outlet has no effect whatsoever on being able to turn the car off, etc.

I use it every day to charge my cell phone, and sometimes I leave the phone plugged in while I run into a store, etc. Never notice any issues around the plugged in item affecting the vehicle shutdown/turning off.

Greetings from rainy New England!

9. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think the location of 12V outlets in the Prius depends on which country you're in. You don't give your location. Here in the UK I think there's only one. If there's another I haven't been able to find it. And it's not a cigarette lighter. There isn't one.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hmmm. I thought for sure I read a thread where someone was having problems with their car shutting down. Basically, they said it wouldn't. Turned out that they had plugged something into the passenger outlet while the car was ON. Someone else posted that the outlet had a detector.

I tried to use the Search function but apperantly typing "the one where the guy can't shut down his car and someone else indicated that it was because he had something plugged into the passenger outlet" doesn't return any hits.

So perhaps I did make it up. Oh well. Please disregard the blonde guy.

11. mrv

mrv Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Depends on which Prius and in what country you buy it.

2001-2003 Prius only have one 12v accessory outlet. (you only get a cigarette lighter in the UK, and maybe parts of Europe. US/Canada it's just a plastic cover.)

2004-? Prius have a 12v accessory outlet in the center console (the moat between the two front seats), inside the console, at the bottom front of the console. No cigarette lighter. If you have a US/Canada Prius, you also get a second 12v accessory outlet on the dash about knee level on the passenger side.

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is there possibly a miscommunication with the term "shut down"? From your original post, I assumed you meant the ICE didn't shut down at stops but later posts make me think the concern is that the car won't shut down with the power button. I can come up with a logical reason for the former (don't want to drain the battery with a potentially 'large' device combined with other potential drains like the A/C) but not the latter.