1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car code thefts

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by EdIris, Jul 18, 2011.

1. EdIris

EdIris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just Read an article in CAr & Driver that said, thievs have a device that can obtain your car codes from 20 feet away. I wonder if this applies to the Prius. I know the car detects the Fob in your purse or pocket and all you have to do is touch the car handle to open it. Is there a code that goes from your car to the fob that can be copied? Also if copied can the same code be used to start the car? I know that the Fob must be in the car in order to start it. Do I need a wheellock bar to keep the car from being Boosted or stolen?
    :(

2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are other threads on this subject. The big question is the Prius smart key code "scanable" or "not scanable" meaning is it a rolling code. Some dealers (including mine) put an additional security module on Prius touting that it is "non scanable".

1 person likes this.
  3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Haven't heard of ANY complaints on this forum of a Prius being stolen.
    Worry if you like.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A locksmith with the proper equipment can certainly pick the door lock and add a new remote for the car. Anybody with a brick could break a window to get in, but they're not going to start the car.

As for intercepting the messages between a remote and the car, there has been a demonstration by some security professionals that the non-SKS type remote system could be compromised. So if you've got a PhD, a few thousand dollars worth of exotic lab equipment, and several years to work on it, it could be done.

The SKS system is more secure than the non-SKS version used on base model Gen2 (2004-2009). It's going to be a few more years before anyone breaks the SKS radio communications.

If a thief gets your remote, it will work just as well for him as it does for you. So if you lose a remote, it would be prudent to have the lost remote deleted from the car's list of valid ones.

6. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I can see the news story now. "Low speed multistate chase of stolen Prius covers 700 miles. The suspect eluded police for two days using a pulse-and-glide technique that caused pursuers to run out-of-gas and was finally apprehended while stopped for a restroom break."

As much as I like my Prius, I don't think it will become the preferred target of carjackers and thieves.