1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car color and car covers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dbaro, May 26, 2006.

1. dbaro

dbaro New Member

Our 99 Sienna XLE was totaled in a minor accident. At the very same time our trusty 93 Camry XLE needed extensive repair work- so we were driving a rental and absolutely needed to purchase a newer car with the insurance payout. After visiting 3 Toyota dealers- all telling us 4-6 weeks for a new Prius- we found a dealer who was getting a delivery of a black prius 06 the very next week and the client had canceled. Of course we put in our deposit lock and bought the car the very next week. The problem is black shows all kinds of smudges and dirt, and we have no garage. Most importantly, the sun will bleach the color eventually. Anyone know anything about car covers (cheap if possible) and what do we do about that antenna sticking up?

Thanks for any info.

2. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Don't know about car covers, but the antenna screws off very easily - throw it in the glove compartment or just leave it on the seat when you go to put the cover on.

3. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ May 26 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]261601[/snapback]</div>
    I bought a fitted car cover at California Car Cover, in my neighborhood (Chatsworth, CA), but they do web sales. It has a pocket for the antenna and side mirrors, and fits very well, though getting it over the antenna is a hassle. I finally decided to get one of the shark fin antennas that replace the whip antenna. They are in the Priuschat store for $60, painted and shipped. I found the reception fine, at least as good as the whip, took less than 5 minutes to install. The fitted car cover is easier to put on now. I paid $149 for the fitted cover with a 4 year warranty. Costco sells generic covers for $50. If you get the shark fin and the Costco cover you're money ahead over the fitted cover.

You should only use the cover over a reasonably clean car, or it will leave small scratches.

P.S. I wouldn't ever have a black car for the reasons you mentioned...and lots of others. I had an Eagle Talon with white body and gloss black roof. The roof always looked dirtier than the white part.

4. dbaro

dbaro New Member

We absolutely did not want black, have never owned a black car. Unfortunately, we were desperate and that was the only option available to us given our circumstances. Tell me suboratoo, what are those other reasons for not owning a black car. I'd rather know what I was getting into up front.

Having never been meticulous about a clean car, I am somewhat dismayed about your caution regarding the necessity for a clean car before using a cover.

Maybe we should try to sell this privately, put an option on another and wait the ful six weeks. This is so confusing.

The shark fin antenna is definitely an option. We may have to get

Thanks again

PS Sorry for posting on the wrong forum- brand new to this forum and was confused by it all.

5. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B2B2 @ May 27 2006, 07:04 AM) [snapback]261749[/snapback]</div>
    I am convinced that dark color cars are harder to cool in the summer. I'm not a fan of tinted windows, so I want all the reflective power I can get, and black will always retain more heat than lighter colors. Cleaning is an issue, though you said you don't care that much about keeping it clean. I didn't wash my white Prius for 6000 miles, because we had so much rain off and on. When I finally washed it was kind of a gray, but from 10 feet away, it didn't look too bad. I don't use the cover when the car is dusty, and I live in a dusty (windy) area at the foot of the mountains. You can get one of the static car dusters, and give the car a quick swipe before you put the cover on. I use my cover for bird spot protection mostly. My neighbor has pigeons and the neighborhood crows do quite a job on it. Any small dent, door ding or imperfection will show on a black car worse than most other colors. Mainly, I just don't like the look of black cars. Probably seen too many gansta movies. With Prius in such demand maybe you could work out a trade with another dealer. Lots of people like black cars. If you really hate it, get rid of it and get one you like. Like I posted before, I registered on carsdirect.com, and got the options I wanted the same day. I had to drive 50 miles to Lancaster and the car was white (wanted blue), but you have to be flexible if you don't want to wait. I'm glad I got the white. My other car is dark red, and my wife's car is also white.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I got my cover from Coast Car Covers. It's an exact fit, which includes an integral glove for the antenna. It was over $200 as I went for a more expensive material.