1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

car color and fuel economy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by basicperson, May 23, 2008.

1. basicperson

basicperson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello,

I was wondering if a dark color on a Prius causes the air conditioner to work harder to keep the car cool during the summer.

I'm thinking the most benefit would be to put one of those sun visors on the dashboard when parked. But I'm thinking a dark Prius would still command more resources to keep cool. I'm not sure if it makes a substantial difference or not.

Thanks.

2. Ailu

Ailu Prius Groupie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You're not kidding. Our previous ride had a beige interior, and I really noticed a difference in the temperature with our gray interior Prius. It really bakes! Have to crank the air conditioner for twice as long as my other car, to dispel the heat dissipating from the interior.

As soon as I find my old window shield (buried in the garage somewhere) I'm gonna use it! But I wonder, it's just a metallic polyester-like cloth sewn around 2 big circular springs. Is there a big difference between this kind and these "heat shield" types? wondering..