1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car cover for kitty-proofing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by justifyd, Mar 24, 2007.

1. justifyd

justifyd New Member

Since the Prius has to share the garage with three cats, I went ahead and ordered the Covercraft car cover featured in the PriusChat Shop. Finally had a chance to try it on today. I'm quite happy with the fit. It even has a pocket for the roof antenna!

I'm hoping the cover will help protect the paint job from the kitties. They absolutely love to put their muddy pawprints all over our cars. Obviously those won't be an issue with the cover, but I am a little worried about their claws. They immediately took a liking to the fabric. I guess time will tell whether the cover can withstand their clawing and (more importantly) keep them from scratching up the car underneath. Anyone else have experience in this department?

- Justifyd

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We have an open carport and many semi-domesticated cats who go where they please. I found that a good Zaino shine makes the Prius too smooth and slippery for their liking. Without the high polish, they would jump up and walk on the car. With the fabled Zaino shine, they jump up and slide, so they get right back down.

Now if I could only keep them from using the gravel....

3. justifyd

justifyd New Member

Great idea. Thanks for the tip!

- Justifyd

4. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 25 2007, 12:40 AM) [snapback]411743[/snapback]</div>
    Bill,

Why don't you just Zaino shine the gravel? Sorry, couldn't help it. :p

I live in the rural areas of Virginia and there, also, are cats in the neighborhood that roam free. They used to love getting on my Grand Am. Haven't noticed any paw prints on Camry Hybrid, yet. When summer arrives, I'm sure they will enjoy the TCH.

Starting to wonder if I could either: 1) hook car's horizontal surfaces to traction battery OR 2) make a battery-electrified fencing/grate and throw it over the car. After having 10 -> 20 dead/barbecued cats laying around, the remaining felines might get the idea. For the PETA folks -- Don't worry, I won't do it. (I would need to have the cats touch two strands of bare wire that have different voltage. ;) HMM -- I wonder . . .

5. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The hard part is using the clay-bar on the gravel without picking up grit...

We live out in the country and there around a dozen cats that come and go. We've trapped and neutered/spayed all that weren't ill. A new tom showed up last week so this week we'll try to lure him into the trap for "treatment".

6. justifyd

justifyd New Member

Just to follow up...

Car covers won't do the trick. My cats loved it and thought I'd bought them a nice, big scratching post (on wheels, of course). Fortunately, they only had time to put a few minor scratches on the car before I discovered what they were up to (and that the 4-ply cover was no match against them).

They didn't seem to do any harm before I put the cover on, so I'm back to going coverless for the time being.

I'm sure the cats and I will be on speaking terms again soon. They always forgive me...eventually. :p

Hmm... Here's a thought:

Maybe I should Zaino the car cover! :D

- Justifyd

7. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Justifyd @ Mar 26 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]412674[/snapback]</div>
    LOL :D And the gravel!

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How about covering the cats instead of the car. :p

Tom

9. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NO, NO, NO.

I think we've been over-engineering this problem! <_<

The only correct answer is the Zaino the cat's pad's/paws. B)

Just had strange image of seeing kittens running across a tile floor and trying to take a corner. Legs flailing and SPLAT -- rignt into wall -- a la Tom and Jerry or Sylvester and Tweety-bird. :lol:

I know, I have a weird sense of humor. (My GF says it goes beyond that, all the way to warped.)

10. priapus08

priapus08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Justifyd @ Mar 24 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]411728[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have a garage and it appears the car cover has dubious success. The car is reasonably small (5Hx6Wx15L). I am thinking of a "cat box" rigid construction to keep them out and give the car me access.

After the cats the second most damaging risk is sun, then hail, wind, and snow here.

I know that is normally called a garage but I want to stay inside 100 sq ft so that I do not need a building permit, and to minimize the material required. I have considered 6Hx8Wx12L with a fold out 4 ft extension Normal building material is based on 4x8 ft, and might too much scrap for my liking.

Any ideas?

11. priapus08

priapus08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Justifyd @ Mar 24 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]411728[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have a garage and it appears the car cover has dubious success. The car is reasonably small (5Hx6Wx15L). I am thinking of a "cat box" rigid construction to keep them out and give the car me access.

After the cats the second most damaging risk is sun, then hail, wind, and snow here.

I know that is normally called a garage but I want to stay inside 100 sq ft so that I do not need a building permit, and to minimize the material required. I have considered 6Hx8Wx12L with a fold out 4 ft extension Normal building material is based on 4x8 ft, and might too much scrap for my liking.

Any ideas?