1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car dead, must turn ignition key for 60 seconds

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by IaintZWalrus, Sep 28, 2012.

1. IaintZWalrus

IaintZWalrus New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi friends,
    Have had my 2002 for one year now, with 96k miles. Ocasionally I get the red triangle but after 5 restarts it quits showing.
    But now I have a different problem: in the mornings the car is desd, I turn the key all the way but not even the display comes on. But, if I turn the key all the way to where it says "start" and hold it there, energy slowly starts to flow and after about 2 minutes I get a lighted-up display and the car gets back to normal.
    What could be wrong? Seems like the 12-volt depletes overnight and when I hold the key in "start" the main battery charges the aux. Am I way off the hook? I'm afrsid suddenly this won't work and I'll get stranded anytime.
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Claudio

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Claudio,

Replace the 12V battery now.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    28800-21190 is the Toyota number for their improved replacement battery (about 70% more capacity than the GS-branded original, and hard to beat with anything aftermarket). It's a Panasonic.

If the one in your car says Panasonic (it was already upgraded), all you need is a new one.

If the one in the car still says GS (it's 10 years old!), also get the 04003-23147 fit kit for the Panasonic upgrade (you only need this once).

If what's in the car is some other random battery the last owner somehow made to fit, and the job was competent (the battery accepts a vent hose, the hose correctly leads outside the trunk, any shims and mods to the tray, holddown, and terminals are secure and safe) then you might replace it with the same battery ... if it was kludgey you can go with the Panasonic and the proper fit kit just as if you were upgrading the original GS.

Good luck!
    -Chap

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, these are classic symptoms of a weak/dead 12v battery.