1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car doors won't lock. Car keeps beeping at me when I turn it off.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by StirCrazy516, Dec 3, 2016.

1. StirCrazy516

StirCrazy516 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I need help figuring this out. I took my car to Toyota for this problem and they couldn’t get the problem to happen while they had my car.

This happened the first time a few months ago. I got home and after I turned off my car, it started beeping at me. Kind of like if you have the keys in your pocket and you walk away from your car when it is actually on, except my car was definitely off. The symbol on the dash display was the yellow key with an exclamation point through it. At this point my car would not allow me to lock the doors. I checked to see that all my doors were shut and they were because I know that if a door is not shut completely the car will not lock the doors. No matter if I used the key FOB or the manual lock button on the door, as soon as the car door would lock, it would unlock. My keys were outside the vehicle every time I tried to lock the doors so that is not the problem. The car would start fine and drive fine. I just couldn’t lock the doors.

So today I was driving around running errands and when I got home and I turned off my car, it started beeping at me again and I got the key symbol with the exclamation point again. Again I could not lock the doors, but the car would start right back up. However, this time my key FOB would not even momentarily lock the car doors and then unlock them. It was like the key FOB was dead, but it wasn’t really. The car did not make the beeping noise you get when you lock the car doors. I got my husband out to confirm it was nothing I was doing because it all seems so weird. He confirmed that there is something definitely going on. At this point I tried starting the car again and it looked like it started, but the 0 on the speedometer that should show up when you start your car, but are not driving it, should display. The 0 was not there. All the other lights were lit that made it look like the car was on. I did have my foot on the breaks when I pushed the start button. When I put the car in reverse I noticed that I did not have power steering or power breaks and it was then I realized the car was not on. Unfortunately I only have one key FOB so I can’t test it with another one.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Is it possible that I just need to replace my key ridiculously expensive key FOB? Or is it something more serious with the car itself? The battery in the FOB has been changed twice already by me and by Toyota so that is not the problem.

This is Saturday night and I know that by Monday when Toyota is open again my car will probably be working just fine and they will tell me again to bring it in again when it is acting up. I never acts up when they are open and they can’t keep my car for two months at a time troubleshooting it. I also can’t drive a car I don’t know how reliable it is.

Help!

2. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Always check the 12v battery when strange things start happening.

kenoarto likes this.
  3. StirCrazy516

StirCrazy516 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is that the battery in the key FOB? That has been replaced twice in the last two months just to make sure I didn't have a dead battery.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They are talking about the 12 volt battery in the right side of the cargo area. That battery runs the computerized system, lights, etc/ It is recharged from the larger traction battery.
    When this battery starts failing, many unexplained issues can occur. IT is pretty easy to change, much like a traditional automotive battery, but designed for deep cycle rather than cold cranking amps.

I believe this is the battery.

kenoarto likes this.
  5. StirCrazy516

StirCrazy516 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you both for your quick responses. I am going to try that.

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    By all means check the battery but locking problems can be caused by failing actuators in the doors too. Mine was intermittent before it failed completely. That is a common problem.

7. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Common? No. Rare is a much more accurate diagnosis.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Door actuator failure is common in all cars after years of use
    My driver doors recently went from intermittent to failure.
    Lots and lots of threads about it here just search

Door actuator

9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    But it seems to happen in some Toyota models MUCH sooner than you would expect.
    I was lucky. My first one failed in less than 3 years of light use and was covered by the 3 year warranty.
    Given what the dealers charge if not under warranty, I might just trade mine in when the next one fails.

Many threads about it on here. Like you said, I don't see how anybody could call it "rare" after reading those posts.
    And visiting other brand forums and NEVER seeing it mentioned at all.

10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have never had it happen on any Toyota I have owned. (1969 Corolla, 1989 Camry, 1996 Camry, 2000 Tundra, 2008 Corolla). My Prius is too new to include in that list, though.

11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well the discussion here IS (mostly) about Prius models, after all. :)

And what did or did not happen on models over 20 years old can hardly be significant to what is happening today.

There is very little to make legitimate complaints about with the Prius line but I think the door lock actuators IS one.

12. LockSmithe

LockSmithe New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So I have also just experienced exactly what is described above. I signed up just so that I could post this reply in the hope that it will help -someone-.

As above, the car beeped when turned off, beeped outside when I walked away, and would refuse to allow the doors to lock (even if I pushed the door lock myself, the car would immediately unlock all doors).

In my case, the problem turned out to be this: a usb adapter plugged into the 12v port (cigarette lighter) at the console with a cell phone battery bank plugged into that (I was charging it while driving, and left it in the car when I got out). When it was finally unplugged, the car made a happy "yup, that was it, thanks" beep.

2015 Prius V Five

Yue Chan and kenoarto like this.
  13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for posting but you’re in the G2 forum. You want to post this in the G3 forum.

14. LockSmithe

LockSmithe New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My apologies! Posted in Doors won't lock | PriusChat

#14 LockSmithe, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2018
  15. dong9527

dong9527 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    holy! i was browse this forum becasue i cant lock my car, after u read your reply, i look at my car realized i pluged in a power bank to charged it, now i unplug it everythinf goes back to normal, thx!

16. Yue Chan

Yue Chan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

I too just signed up on this website to post that this was my fix for my 2007 Toyota Prius just now! Normally nothing charges from the USB ports after my Prius is turned off, but for some reason I plugged in a hand warmer that continued charging after my Prius turned off. That was the culprit! The doors now lock normally again and no more beeping after the USB device was unplugged

17. BleakDolphin

BleakDolphin New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

18. BlackIce17

BlackIce17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had the same issue, thanks for the clue! I was charging a flashlight battery in the cigarette lighter and when the car turned off, this continued charging. Unplugged it and the problem went away! It was NOT the door actuator

My experience of the problem was as followed:
    When I turned the car off and opened the door, the car would beep steadily as if I had clicked the power button once without pressing the brake, like it was in Accessory mode but no lights were on. Locking the doors resulted in an immediate unlock. I should have noticed something strange when the cigarette lighter was still working with the vehicle off. Unplug anything from the cigarette lighter and see if this fixes the issue before you go through Any mechanical issues