1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car engine sounding louder than normal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bluelydia5, Jul 12, 2011.

1. bluelydia5

bluelydia5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took my car to the car wash and they seemed to take longer to vacuum/wash it and while driving it away, I noticed something was off. It seems like the engine is louder than normal. Before when starting the car, it would take 30 seconds to a minute before the battery/engine would come on. Then while accelerating to about 25-35 mph, then the engine would come into gear. When going on the freeway, if accelerating at a quick speed it would sound really loud. Now, it seems like instead of silent, quiet, a little louder, louder and loudest - it's moved to the next level. When starting the car, the engine starts right away and when driving away (at less than 25 mph), the engine sound like I am on the freeway and when I'm on the freeway it sound like I'm trying to gun the engine. I don't know what it could be.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The long stay in the car wash in neutral (the traction battery cannot be charged in neutral) probably discharged your traction (HV) battery to below its normal level. This would cause the engine to have to work harder since the electric motors were not in a position to help. This should clear up after a short time driving as the traction battery will get recharged. If it doesn't clear up you will need to stop at the dealer and have them check the condition of the traction battery, but as it is covered by a long warranty, do not be concerned.

JeffD