1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car Full of Water Underneath Carpet - How to Clean?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Friendlyx, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I originally thought it was the door seals which were causing the car to have water inside. However, i still think it's leaking from there we now believe the major of the water was coming in from the AC line which runs water, it was completely disconnected. I only believed it wasn't this before we pulled the carpet because it was it was dry after not driving the car in the passenger seat. I included a picture which shows the the hoes and cannot find where it is supposed to lead to. I believe either the shop that installed the stereo or the person who fixed the car from the original crash probably just left it thinking nothing of it.

Now, i'm looking to see what i should do from here, should i take it to someone to clean it? Can i clean it myself? What should i use? What steps should i take? Thanks in advanced for all the help i get from this community!

[​IMG]

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There might be some info on that AC water line (likely the humidity drain line) in the attachment. It's a pretty dense document though, maybe towards the end, in the reassembly section?

Also, @NutzAboutBolts has a video about AC cleaning, and maybe it shows that drain hose connection. His videos are all linked in a thread, pinned at the top of the 3rd gen maintenance sub-forum.

This hose drains to the outside, so you should be able to trace it back that way.

What a bloody mess! maybe a body shop would have some ideas, how to thoroughly dry, clean and seal everything, halt the rust. Try to get some compensation from the stereo installer, or collision repair? Or hopeless?

Attached Files:

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was the one who originally replied the 1st thread about this, to check your ac drain. Once its no longer clogged, inspect for no punctures then reconnect it. The hole leads outside underneath the car thus called ac drain.

Raytheeagle and Robert Holt like this.
  4. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey! Thanks! Yeah the hoes seems to be connected to go outside, but i don't see anywhere else to plug it into? Mine is plugged into where it's supposed to go out of, but i cannot find where the water comes from to go outside. What does it look like? Thanks

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The water's collecting inside the AC unit, basically like dew forming on a glass of ice water. I'd look for some sorta spigot on the underside of the AC unit, that's what the hose would push onto.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The car'll dry out ok once you have the absorbent carpet and insulation out, bail out the gross water and get some ventilation going.

Drying out the carpet and insulation is going to take longer, and the smell may be stubborn. I've had surprisingly good results tossing such stuff up on the roof of the house on a sunny day, and other-side-up the next day ... check the wind forecasts first. If the smell isn't well taken care of, there's always chlorine dioxide. Might get the carpet back in the dry car, but not laid back down flat, but up on tall blocks for good circulation, with one or two ClO₂-generating packets (MDG is one source) tossed on the floor beneath it, and the car sealed up for several hours.

The good thing about A/C condensate is it was nice distilled fresh water. You've got to contend with whatever grew in it while it was sitting there, but be very happy it wasn't salt water, or carrying any of the gunk that you'd find in flood water.

As you were unhooking all those electrical connectors, how did they look?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Search for the expression "drain cooler hose" in the pdf I attached above.

#7 Mendel Leisk, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  8. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The electrical connectors look great actually, no water seems to have gotten in them. The only thing that was rusted was the connection for my dash cam. Which i can replace easily! There is a bit of rust on the actual car, how can i treat it?

Do i apply the chlorine dioxide onto the carpet or the car itself? Also, where do i get the CIO packets? Also, if you don't mind me asking what are blocks? I'm also planning to put down dynamat, would i still be able to do that?

9. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I see it, but that's the part of the engine correct? I think i found the connector, it seems like it's coming right from the side of the car where the middle console is next to.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hmm, now seeing "cooler drain hose", page 49:

upload_2019-2-2_10-38-5.png

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a chance some of the hoses internal to the AC unit are even missing?

12. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, i've seen in other videos that have a white hoes connecting both parts, but mine doesn't have a white part, it's just the black hoes.

EDIT: How would i know if anything else is missing other than what i can see?

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Should be doable, either with proper Toyota replacement hoses or a trip to Home Depot, if that's the case. It'll take some study though, to figure out where the missing hoses connect.

14. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you, i'll get it connected today. Another question i have for you real quick, i disconnected my cars airbags from the seats, if i turn on the car to drive it to the carwash (my logic is that i can go to the car wash and go a few times and SEE the water if anything comes in now physically, now that the car is completely naked.) Or will it throw a code and not work?

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No clue. Still, I'd be inclined to remedy the smoking gun: the AC drain line.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's a gas, so you don't have to put it 'onto' anything, you just stick a generator packet inside the car somewhere, and close up the car and spend your own next several hours somewhere else, or maybe longer, and just let the gas go everywhere in the car. Then you come back and air the car out and throw away the packet.

I've written more about it here. Starbrite / MDG are brand names you can look for.

I didn't mean anything special by 'blocks', just that I would look for some stuff to put under the carpet temporarily to hold it up, say, half a foot off the floor of the car. That way, you could drop a ClO₂ generator down there on the floor of the car and let the gas easily circulate around the under side of the carpet and mats.

ClO₂ can have a bit of a color-bleaching effect. There generally won't be any trouble if the generator packet itself isn't right near something you don't want to bleach (if you're just treating a car for random odors, say, you could tie some string between the headrests and use it to hang a packet sort of in midair in the car, not near any upholstery or surface).

In your case, I'd be thinking of having the carpet sort of suspended, and the packet underneath.

But you might be surprised how decent a job a good old exposure-to-strong-sunshine will do, and that's free.

Is there any discoloration/staining from the biology experiment in the carpet?

Robert Holt and Friendlyx like this.
  17. egn83b

egn83b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you got leaks get a smoke machine it makes finding pinholes and seal failures straightforward and easy no hunting involved which is frustration.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. Friendlyx

Friendlyx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I never thought about this! Would it stain anything inside the car?

19. egn83b

egn83b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I might start with the smoking gun, then see if the car takes on any more water, and take more elaborate steps only if needed.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.