1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car Interior Temperature Data

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by enerjazz, Aug 6, 2005.

1. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a couple of data loggers and am beginning to run a few experiments on car interior temperature. My first test involved cracking the windows a bit while the car is parked in the sun all day. The data is at http://enerjazz.com/data/Car_Temp.htm

On days with similar weather conditions the temp in the cracked window test peaked at at 130 deg F. The rolled up windows peaked at 137. Both cases had a sunshade in the front window.

More data to come.

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Paul,
    Your link didn't work for me????
    Gary

3. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Link works, but you have to exclude the trailing period. Always a good idea when including a link at the end of a sentence to leave space between the link and the period so it is not included when someone clicks on it.

I once had a car that I installed a small solar powered fan that stradled a back window to cool the car while it was parked. Greatly helped preclude super heating.

4. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks kirbinster.... should have noticed that.
    Interesting that the cracked window only cooled things by about 8*. Take it that there was no wind to be taken into account. I think that solar fan would be essential.
    Paul, looking forward to more data.

5. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I fixed the link - sorry I didn't notice that period.

It was a still and hot day, so only a little heat escaped. If we get a string of similar days I'll try a few more experiments. I dread the one where I leave the window shade off all day - that's going to be one hot car.

6. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Were the windows only open 1/8 inch? I leave mine about an inch for better air circulation.