1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car is way too easy to drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by srellim234, Oct 29, 2015.

1. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just sent the odometer reading to our insurance company and the realization hit me that I've put 6,000 miles on the Prius in the first 4 months of ownership. I didn't put 6,000 miles on our old car in the last 2 years! It's just way to easy to look at the 50+ mpg on the open highway, the ease and comfort of driving the car and just go on the weekends to visit family and friends 100-200 miles away. Now that we have the "cheap travel" car we're visiting them instead of them coming to us. That, and where previously I was riding my bike all over town now it's too convenient to just hop in the car for that quick trip to the market and to transport the kids to and from school instead of worrying about them walking.

I'm hooked on this car!

uart likes this.
  2. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good point. I find driving Prius easy and pleasing, too

Alex

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't forget, it likes to take itself for a drive in the middle of the night.;)

4. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They are darned easy to drive....and own. Many of us consider them "transport pods" rather than cars.

Don't give up biking to the store though...that's the best part of grocery shopping for me. Save the Pri for the trips long enough to get the HSD system warmed up. I still try to use the bicycle as much as possible--it's good for the soul!

Data Daedalus and CR94 like this.
  5. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, plus biking keeps me to my shopping list and I don't get tempted to pick up extra things. I carry the groceries in my backpack when I'm on the bike but I've allowed myself to get spoiled and lazy because of the Prius. I desperately need to return to the 2-wheeler as much as possible.

I know what you mean about the warm up time. I've had a few tanks in the high 30s for mpg already because of it. Huge difference between short hops around town at 38-39 mpg and the 100-200 mile each way "across the desert" trips at 51-53 mpg.

6. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, trip duration makes a big difference with fuel economy. If you need to do short hops, drive to the furthest stop first to get the system warmed up. Then you have better use of electric glide for the subsequent stops.

I've used the backpack some for errands but find the weight on the shoulders (and seat) to be very uncomfortable. Where we used to live, I used to use a bike trailer (one of the child-carrying ones) but the trailer is not as well suited for the current route. Now I use a plastic crate reinforced with plywood on the bottom, bolted to a cargo rack. I take the entire rack on and off the bike, as needed. It even works for refilling the gas can for the brush cutter. I think I'm one of the few who takes a bicycle to the gas pump.

Pale Fox likes this.