1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car not starting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stephenad, Dec 3, 2023.

1. Stephenad

Stephenad New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    I have a 2007 Prius. I had to replace the battery for it because the car wouldn’t start. Once I did that it started fine. But when I turned the car off it wouldn’t start back up again. I could jump the car and it would start up no problem. The hybrid batteries show they are charging normally. I thought maybe the battery was no good so I exchanged it out. It isn’t a Toyota battery. It’s one from auto zone. The same one it had in the car when I bought it. I’ve had it for about 4 years and this is the first time I’ve had any problems with it. Any ideas? I had the alternator checked and it was fine.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's no alternator, but aside from that, it sounds like you have a phantom drain when the car is off, unless you got a defective battery. auto zone does free battery testing. best bet is to make sure it's good, and if so, measuring the drain on it with the car off.
    i think it's supposed to be about 25 milliamps or something

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a simpler test to start with is to use a volt meter to measure the battery drop overnight.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah did they try to sell you a replacement alternator I wonder how much that cost and maybe they'll try to sell you a starting battery especially for your starter in the Prius which you don't have.