1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car off, but noise coming near back passenger tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jgod12, Dec 13, 2009.

1. jgod12

jgod12 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    We had a few cold nights lately and my Prius is parked in my garage. When the car is off several hours, I keep hearing a noise coming from the back passenger tire area and a clicking relay every once in awhile from the front of the car's relay box. It sounds is like a humming or fan sound. I'm not really sure what the sound is and the car is turned off for several hours. I thought maybe it was some sort of heater for the traction battery or something. Anyhow, this relay clicks this noise on and off throughout the night until I use the car again. Does anybody know what it might be and is this normal? The car runs great as always, battery level looks great everytime I use the car. Thanks.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From page 22 of the Owner's Manual:

Approximately five hours after the hybrid system is turned off, you may hear
    sound coming from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound​
    of a fuel evaporation leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction.

There has been another thread on this subject and it is normal.

1 person likes this.
  3. jgod12

jgod12 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Thanks for the information. I heard it again tonight(the car has been off for at least 5 hours) and having the car for over a year and just now hearing it for the first time suprised me. Thanks.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Try this:
    Remove hatch floor and rear cargo tray. Turn on the car.

You'll be surprised at all the strange noises you'll hear. :)