1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car Ran Out of Gas, now code P3190 and won't run

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bikeking19, Dec 13, 2019.

1. bikeking19

bikeking19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was driving down the highway yesterday when my Prius ran out of gas. I knew it was low but I was pretty sure I could make it to the gas station, but as the car slowed from a crawl to a full stop on the interstate it became clear that was not the case. It's a 2012, no known issues, runs fantastic, all fluid levels fine, brand new 12 volt battery. So AAA came, put 3 gallons of gas in, and took off. I had 3 bars on the fuel gauge, the car started, "Ready" signal and all. However after 10 seconds it shut off with the "hybrid battery problem" message and red triangle with check engine light on. I tried this a couple more times with the same result, then the car would not go into ready mode at all. I have a bluetooth scanner and showed it was throwing code P3190. I cleared this and the lights came off, only to repeat the process all over again. I called AAA again which put another couple of gallons of gas in case that was the problem, this yielded the same results. I had it towed down the street to a trusted mechanic, and I even disconnected the 12 volt battery for 10 minutes, this came with the same results although the car seemed to run the ICE maybe a little bit longer this time before shutting off. Any ideas or similar problems? Very frustrating to have a perfectly running car one minute, then run out of gas and completely screw it up.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What is the hv battery state of charge:whistle:?

If you attempt to start the car and it is too low, you’ll now have to find a way to charge the hv battery and that’s an expensive proposition ;).

I’d recommend not running out of gas in the first place. As you have found out, there is little to be gained by running the Prius that low. I always fill our up when it is at 2 bars or it just clicks to the 1 bar level. For reasons similar to this:).

What can also cause the P3190 is a plugged fuel filter that is starving the injectors of gas. You could also clean the MAF sensor to ensure the air side of the equation is not causing issues, but it sounds like fuel delivery and potentially low SOC are your current issues:cool:.

Good luck and keep us posted .

Grit, Mendel Leisk, ASRDogman and 3 others like this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The car went ready, and the 10 seconds where you thought the car was running, it really wasn't. That 10 seconds was the HV battery spinning the transaxle/engine trying to get it to start. After a few attempts, the HV battery has been drained. That's why it wouldn't go to ready mode. You cleared the code and did it all again, draining the battery even more. You disconnected the 12v battery, which reset all the car ecus. This also caused the ecu to forget what the true SOC of the battery was, so it went to a default value around 60%. This probably allowed the car to try to start the engine again, but then depleted the battery even further. You could now be in serious shape, with an HV battery near total depletion, and the root cause of the engine not starting having not yet been determined. Probably a dirty throttle body or MAF (often the case). Although you can clean those ahead of time, odds are very good you're going to need the HV battery charged before you'll be able to continue troubleshooting why the car won't start.

Lesson learned: Prii do not like running out of fuel...

RMB, Grit, Raytheeagle and 1 other person like this.
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never tempt fate! Or run out of fuel, in any car.
    You'll have to look at a wiring diagram and find which wire go to the fuel pump.
    Then jump the wires so the fuel pump runs for a minute or so to build up pressure again.
    The engine didn't start because there wasn't any or enough fuel to start.
    Hopefully, you didn't damage the fuel pump.
    With a non hybrid car, you just turn the key to the run position with runs the fuel pump for 1/2 second.
    So after changing the fuel filter, 5 or six of those fills up the line and pressure.

TGrracie and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your moniker profile say's 2004 Prius?
    Your post say's 2012?
    If it's a 2004. I'm going with you pushed your Hybrid Battery over the edge.
    If it's a 2012, as the previous posts suggested, you may have complicated, semi-expensive options, but hopefully they don't result in you needing a new Hybrid Battery.
    Good Luck, hope it turns out to be a cheaper resolution.

*Avoiding temptation to admonish the OP for running out of gas.

Grit likes this.
  6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm avoiding that also, as we're all human

(and my gauge went to one dot this morning on the way to work, so I know darn well that karma would bite me in the butt and for the first time ever, my tank would go dry, too.)

dig4dirt likes this.
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Where at those of members in that thread that said the headroom to true “empty” gas tank was not inaccurate and should be reduced

8. bikeking19

bikeking19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used to have a 2004, which I can say from experience in my college days, you can run out of gas multiple times, one gallon is all you need and it starts right back up. The shop called today saying the hybrid battery is shot which seems not unlikely given the feedback I've gotten. In my defense, the 2nd gen really has no problem running out of gas, and when it does one gallon gets it back on the road running like nothing happened speaking from my broke college days where I stretched tanks much further than they should have. So yea, looking at getting the battery replaced at the moment I guess, or finding one and installing myself which I had done in my 2nd gen. I'm really thinking about getting this fixed and then selling it and going back to the 2nd gen for various reasons but that's a side point.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The battery doesn't need to be replaced, it just needs to be charged. A $300 prolong charger would do it.

Raytheeagle and ASRDogman like this.
  10. bikeking19

bikeking19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh well that would be much better! Is this something you can only order online? Time is somewhat of a factor since I have to be back at work.

SM-G892U ?

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prolong Battery Systems. Extending the life of your hybrid. — Hybrid Automotive
    I was thinking the same as @TMR-JWAP.

And the charger would be good for long-term maintenance of the battery.

Out of curiosity (NOT for argument) was the DTE at zero and if so, for how long? Same with fuel gauge. Nice to have that kind of data.

12. bikeking19

bikeking19 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes it was for about 20 miles. I had recently read another thread about a 3rd gen going consistently 100+ miles after this.

SM-G892U ?

13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was that 20 miles after zero on the DTE countdown, or 20 miles after the last pip went out? I don't remember if those are the same on the Gen 3. At any rate, that does seem premature compared to other reports here.

I hope you can get a grid charger quickly and that takes care of it. If you still have fuel delivery problems, at least you'll have a way to keep testing one you can keep the battery charged up. In fact, it might be some sort of fuel flow restriction that caused the engine to starve earlier than expected.

I thought I was going to run out in my Prime this past May in New Mexico. We had a quarter tank and went past a gas station thinking we'd stop at the next town. The next gas station was WAY farther than we thought. I don't remember how long we were on empty, but we put 604 miles on that tank. Turns out it only took 10.2 gallons to fill it. WHEW!!!

14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    jerrymildred: You had a gallon to spare! :)
    bikeking19: The past is the past. Hopefully you understand why you shouldn't run the tank empty,
    or near empty. I would suggest 1/2 or at worse 1/4 then fill. Better safe than sorry. :)
    Get the prolong charger, install the harness and charge the hybrid battery. Jump the fuel pump so
    it will run for 30 seconds or so to fill the fuel lines and pressurize the fuel rail. Disconnect the 12v battery
    for a few minutes, reconnect, then try to start the car.
    If your only problem was running out of fuel, and no other damage has been done, (fuel pump?),
    it should start and you'll be fine.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Please let us know how it goes, and what fixes it.

I ran out of gas once. It would not start with only one gallon but two gallons did the trick. I hope the Prolog is the ticket... most likely it is. Good luck and have a great holiday.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In Gen3, the last pip never goes out. After about a half gallon on steady mode, it changes to flashing or blinking. That is the gauge's last warning. (DTE=0 is later, but only if the driver deliberately pulls it up to the display.)

OTOH, the last fuel gauge pip on my Forester does go completely out.

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, it was a huge relieve when I saw that it was nowhere near as empty as it was trying to tell. Me. I'd read about that here, so I was pretty sure it would be OK, but it's different when it's you yourself way out in the boonies.

And that's good advice there for @bikeking19. (y)(y)(y)

ASRDogman likes this.
  18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is why I like to test it first, close to home, before running anywhere near low while out in the boonies. And do those early tests with just I in the car, not We.

Long ago Jimbo posted a good rule for filling up -- not adjusting for those times going out into the boonies. Something like this:

* When driving alone, fill up at 1 pip. Nobody else needs to know that you ran out and were stranded.
    * When driving with spouse, fill up at 2 pips. She will never let you forget that you ran out and stranded her.
    * When driving with mother-in-law, fill up at 3 pips. She will never let anyone forget that you ran out and stranded her.

RMB, Raytheeagle and ASRDogman like this.
  19. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    * Don’t get married so 1 pip is all you need to remember.

20. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OORRR, fill up BEFORE running out of fuel! 1/4 tank, no less.
    It's an 11.9 gallon tank, 12.5 with filler neck. So if you get 45mpg, then you should fill up at 450 miles,
    at the LATEST. That's 10 gallons. In theory, you'll have 2 gallons (90) miles of driving before running out.
    Plenty of time to find a station.