1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car "Running" by itself?? problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyberpriusII, Dec 30, 2010.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very, very icy early this morning in "sunny Oregon" HAHA.

Did not want to hassle with chains, and my windshield was a sheet of icy muck, and I did not want to hassle with scraper.

Plus, I had to get out at 6:45 a.m. to check some traps....Decided to put the key fob on the dashboard, start the car, turn on the defroster at full blast and hike the half-mile down my steep gravel driveway to the paved county road to check driving conditions.

Lots of black ice, but not so bad that I felt I needed tire chains. :rockon:

So, walked back up -- a total of 15 minutes or so, but when I originally turned on the car and got out and shut the door, the "no key warning light" came on and the car beeped a couple of times.

The key was lying on top the dash the whole time. I said hell with it and continuted on my way. As far as I could tell, no damage done....but since the key was in the car....why did it get upset? :confused:

Kristi

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. The fob might have been located in a "dead zone" where the internal antenna could not pick up the signal, or

2. The fob might need a new battery.

3. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hey, Patrick, thanks for the quick reply -- and Happy New Year --

I think the battery should be OK, when I originally walked to the car this morning, with the fob buried deep inside my parka it beeped happily to see me. Almost like having a dog :D

The dead zone idea may have some merit. I put the fob atop the dash about 8 inches behind and 10 inches off to the side of the center of the steering wheel -- toward the passenger side.

My niece took it out a half-hour or so ago (she likes the Ipod hookup in the Prius), so I will experiment when she gets back...
    k/

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Kristi, Happy New Year back to you!

It would be interesting if you determined that in fact you've located a dead zone for Smart signals. One implication of that is that you might be able to lock your car's doors with the fob still inside, which would be inconvenient.

Since your car has the Smart system, there is no reason for you to leave the fob on the dash. Just leave it in your parka, then you won't have to worry about looking for the fob in the car. It sounds like you live in a rural area where security is not an issue - but if it is, then you could lock the car (using the mechanical key if necessary) and leave it running and defrosting the windshield while you pursue your errands.

5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick -- once again -- thank you!!:)

No I would not want to lock the fob in the car! But, it's OK to walk away with the key and leave the car running???

I mean, I done it by accident before, but have always felt guilty. It seems to upset the car so much :eek:

And you are right. I am not in the deep woods of Alaska, but car security is not a concern. We never lock the house, hubby usually leaves the keys to his camry on his front seat, and in the summer, we usually leave all the windows open on the cars (with keys inside) if we are home or not.

We do have a mean and vicious rottweiler :D, but she is mostly concerned with the bears and deer...I wish I could teach her to catch mice!!

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My GF left her fob in the car a couple of times on a trip in Oregon and I was able to lock it using my fob. Her fob was in her purse which she left on the floor behind the passenger seat. I found out that she was leaving it behind because one time the door refused to lock and I discovered that the other fob was in the car.

So, I think the dead zone theory has some merit. Either that or its an Oregon thing. :madgrin:

7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, were you around the Oregon Vortex at the time...

The Oregon Vortex and location of the House of Mystery

1 person likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes.

You will hear the Prius beep as you exit the car with the fob on your person, which is its warning that the fob is leaving the interior of the car. That, plus the amber key lighting up on the dashboard will be the only indications that the fob no longer is present.

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually, I think we were in Astoria when my GF was leaving the fob in the car.

And Patrick is right about leaving the car running without the fob, I do it all the time.