1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Car running weird after visit to dealer. Would like opinions on what do you think happened

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rachel A, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Rachel A

Rachel A New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello Prius aficionados,
    This is my first post, but I have been lurking around for a while.

I took my Prius (2014/111,000 ish miles) to the dealer for a multi-point inspection, tire rotation and oil change special. They also got me to agree to a brake fluid exchange.

After I took the car home, I see that it now pulls extremely to the left- like the car wants to go left all the time. Previously, my car mostly drove straight and went slightly to right not left and it's all shaking at almost all speeds 35, 40, 55, 60 and above doesn't matter. Nothing was noted in my inspection report about alignment or steering.

Wondering if the Prius Chat hive mind can give me insight into what they think might have happened and why I have new problems I didn't have before. For what it's worth, I generally try to keep up w/ maintenance as I prefer not to have a new car payment.

I am now going to be fighting the dealership to get them to correct the problem under the limited warranty. Yesterday they just sent me the ability to purchase a "Vehicle Protection Plan" for my "aging" car instead of actually addressing my concerns. ugh, ugh, ugh. and thank you in advance

2. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did they do anything to the brake system besides the fluid exchange? "New problems" seem to indicate they fouled up something, unless it's an unlikely coincidence!

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can do a quick test as described here to find out if any brake is dragging. If there's one that isn't stone cold at the end of that test, that gives you something concrete to discuss with the dealership.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All those symptoms you mentioned are likely related to this.

Tire rotation, but not balancing? perhaps your car pulled slightly right due to an undiagnosed tire problem. Now that the tires have been rotated, maybe the tire problem is on the other side of the car. Maybe a bent rim? lug nuts not quite tight?

rjparker likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does it pull all the time, or only when the brakes are applied?